+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does your 15 month old throw tantrums?

DS (15 months) is a master at tantrums already! He constantly wants things when we are out, then loses it the moment I say no. At home he throws himself on the ground and thrashes around screaming etc if he doesn't get something he wants. He's been doing this for a few months already. Does this seem early to be dealing with this behaviour?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my gosh YES! Its a nightmare! And so hard because you can really talk them down either

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep. She's nearly 15 months, and has been doing so for a few months. She's not as full on as some kids, but I'm expecting it to get worse

My approach so far is attempting to get in a brief explanation before the screaming starts eg. "No you can't have the phone, it might break" and then attempt to distract her. Doesn't stop all tantrums of course, but I figure if I have a set approach early it should be easier to stick to. Hopefully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is almost 3 and at 15 months YEEEESSSS he threw tantrums. He was the master on tantrums. The worst one last 20 mins and it was all over holding my hand across the road. I told him he had to hold my hand across the road, he started kicking at screaming in the middle of the road. I picked him up, stood him on the pavement outside the automatic doors, i went inside (i could still see him) and stood there and waited. 20 minutes of waiting for him to come but he eventually did.

My DD also when through a tantrum throwing phase at that age. Its a communication thing. They cant verbally communicate what they want properly at that age and its frustration they are venting. Dont not try to communicate with them while they are throwing a tantrum, theres no point. Wait til they calm down and ask them what they want/need.

Unless you want it to continue please, please dont not give in to it. If they throw a tantrum, walk away. Make sure they are safe (if you are out) and just wait for them to come to you. You only need to give in ONCE for them to think its ok behaviour.

EVERY toddler/child while throw a tantrum at some point, trust me your not the first mum to have a screaming kid in the shops. Bugger anyone who looks at you disapprovingly, they either dont have children or they are from a time when you didnt have to take children to the shops.

I have actually found, bar a few times most people who saw me when my kids were throwing tantrums would look at me with sympathy and empathy.

A tantrum throwing toddler id not an indication on how you are parenting...toddlers throw tantrums...FULL STOP!!!

Sorry, this is something i feel very strongly about.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

EmilyMac  (07-12-2013),pilbarablossom  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Its a communication thing. They cant verbally communicate what they want properly at that age and its frustration they are venting. Dont not try to communicate with them while they are throwing a tantrum, theres no point. Wait til they calm down and ask them what they want/need..
    Totally agree! Our boy is about this age, 15 months, and I thought it was early onset of the "terrible twos". But no, he is starting to communicate in his own way (through signs & sounds but not actual words yet) and sometimes I get it wrong. I think he is "saying" one thing when he is actually saying something else. Ooooo... yes that would be frustrating!

Imagine you're learning a foreign language before a trip to that country. You get to that country with some basic words and try to order something at a cafe and the waiter just doesn't understand... brings you the wrong thing or ignores you. A lot of adults will resort to frustrated yelling in an attempt to make themselves understood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. 15-17 months was peak tantrum behaviour. I'm talking head banging tiles, hitting himself, 20 to 30 mins of screaming tantrums ending in him getting nose bleeds. Thankfully it's progressively gotten better and whilst he throws tantrums now, there is no hitting himself etc. he is coping better (and so am I) and slowly learning to control his behaviour and emotions.

Im hoping as he gets older his behaviour will get better and I'm seeing a big improvement at 20 months. He's always been an extremely hard baby and toddler but he's getting better as he gets older.

Agree with pp, don't give in to them. If you've said no stick to it even if it means 20 mins of hell and try to be consistent as hard as it is.

Tantrums are bloody hard work, hope it gets better for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone! My sister's 15 month old DD has never had a tantrum so I was starting to think DS must be abnormally wild.

Don't worry - we never give in to the throw downs - that would be a recipe for disaster. We are hoping that the fact that he's tantruming so young will mean that he will understand that they don't work and give up on them before he gets bigger and stronger. We can always hope anyway