+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I tend to think that if he wants to identify as that then just go with it. Maybe he is just claiming out a little piece of his identity.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not quite the same but....
    My son was a cat for at least 6 months. No kidding. He was scarily full on about it, all of the time. People even suggested I take him to see someone.
    He eventually grew out of it. I now have a boy again! LOL.

He still loves cats though!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (07-12-2013),HippyGirl85  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My younger sister was Dorothy (as in the wizard of oz) for a year or so when she was 3 or 4. She even had a little pull along dog she named toto. EVERYONE had to call her Dorothy. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure he'll grow out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry. Even with your aunt's experience, that's far from the norm, so the chances your son will be the same if unlikely. SO MANY kids will decide these grand changes... but they grow out of it. Your son will almost certainly be the same.

I put on an English accent whenever I was at school/around school friends for an entire year once. I still whip it out occasionally when I've been drinking, but I don't go around pretending to be English. :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Can you play some of the older wiggles DVDs for a while instead? Take his focus off that wiggle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I know two people in my lifetime who have done this.
    Both boys. Both changed in early childhood. One picked his after hearing it at school. The other picked it out of the blue.
    One's mother ignored it, the other had his name legally changed when he was 6.

Both men use the names they chose to this day. Both have stated they don't know why they did it but that they felt it was their real name.

Past life maybe?
    This is me, except I am a female...

At the age of 5 I decided I wanted to be called a certain name. No idea where it came from. I go by that name and have been seriously considering legally changing it because obviously my licence / tax etc is in my "legal" birth name.

My cousin did the same but got her name from a movie and was alot older (teens) however 15 years on she still goes by the name she chose.

He may or may not grow out of it, but I would encourage you to support him through this .. which it sounds like you are

*Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life*

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (09-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can remember changing my name to "Pamela", when I was about that age.

I have no idea how my parents dealt with it, knowing them they probably didn't even notice, or care, but I know I gave up on it after a while. I think by the time I started school. I really really really wanted everyone to call me Pamela though!

I definitely don't go by the name Pamela now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i wish i had changed my name at a young age, its never suited me, but my parents wouldnt have it.
    maybe its a phase but maybe its not, remember he is the one that has to live with being called a certain name for the rest of his life. if he thinks he is a locky id go with it.
    i feel like i would have grown into a more confident person if i had identified with the name i was being called
    Last edited by Maximum22; 07-12-2013 at 18:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I changed my name in grade 8 because I HATED the name my parents gave me and always got bullied for it and it just didn't suit me...legally changed it as soon as I turned 18

ETA when I was in my prep I told everyone my name was Madeline (was obssesed with the show). One of the mums was talking to my mum and thought my name was actually Madeline...I got a big smack on the bum for telling fibs lol
    Last edited by LittleGumnut; 07-12-2013 at 17:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just as a small footnote, you can legally call yourself whatever you like without having to sign any official documentation. The formal aspect is for formal situations only such as banking institutions and passports.

This is why you see "preferred name" on forms.
    Many people have preferred names but have not changed them formally via Births, Deaths & Marriages. One example is the Chinese community – many have a Chinese name and an “Australian” name. It’s well within the law to do this.
    Last edited by Caviar; 09-12-2013 at 11:20.