+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For those who studied teaching but aren't actually teaching

I've been on supply (temporary part time) for the past 6 years and my position ends at the end of this year.

So if you have a teaching degree but currently are not teaching, what are you doing? Have you used your degree in some way or had a total change of career?

I'm feeling a little flat and uninspired since hearing my position isn't available next year and I need some ideas.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've heard jobs in teaching (particular primary school teaching) are hard to get these days. Hope you get something soon!

I know a teacher who ended up always doing casual/temporary work and hated it so did their masters in ESL and now works at Uni and loves it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Fleetwood.

I wish we had the cash so I could do a masters

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister is a teacher. She is working casually at the moment but she does private tutoring in the afternoons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did an UG degree in fine arts, then PG teaching in English/history. I HATED teaching and now I work at uni instead, in the prospective student recruitment office. Uses my first degree well, and my knowledge of the pg teaching courses and options help when I counsel students considering teaching.

Although I never tell them I hated teaching!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently in the same position - I have to do my accreditation but full time work does not work for me right now (as I have no afterschool care for my daughter 2 days a week). So therefore after next year I can no longer teach as I won't be accredited.

I have been looking into working with fostering or child welfare related jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh mummyrissa I feel for you!! Accreditation sucks big time. It's sooo much work. I did my first accreditation and am now up to the professional development one, which also sucks lol.

I love kids and teaching and I'm so passionate about it but jumping through all these hoops without even securing a FT position is just too hard...

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH studied primary ed but got a job as a work place trainer at a major telecommunications company as his first job out as didn't want to teach in a school.

Now works in a totally unrelated field in government and earns far more than he would ever have done teaching and is far happier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did casual teaching for 6 months last year and had more work than I could handle. Some days I had 4 schools calling me. Schools started to get savvy an would book in advance and in blocks. I didn't enjoy it so I returned to working in public libraries. I have a dual degree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I have no idea what I can do with my degree. I'd love to be able to study something else but on one income I doubt that will happen.

I'd love to hear more about what others have done. Anybody else?