+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Severe Language Disorder

Anyone with any experience? DS3 is four, and was just diagnosed today. I'm trying to get my head around it all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is that different from a severe speech delay? My DS 4 has severe speech delay..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure... Does your DS have difficulty with receptive language too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Is it receptive, expressive or both?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He used to have lots trouble with receptive, he is getting better though. His expressive is still very delayed. He is 4.5 and last he was tested his Receptive was at 2.5 and his expressive at 1 and a half years. I would say now his expressive is sitting around the 2 year mark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Is it receptive, expressive or both?
    Both. She didn't give an age equivalent, but said he was in the bottom 1% in both.

Which was an enormous shock, as he's surprisingly functional. She said he's very, very good at utilising non-verbal cues to figure out what people want from him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you think he behaved as usual in the assessment? My ds has a speech delay and was really out of character in the sessions. They pulled up social areas they were worried about and I've been back to the paed twice in the last month having him assessed and I can't explain it but he acted really differently in those sessions (no patience, not taking notice of other children etc). We've decided it's ok and just the speech issue but the paed will review him in 6 months to be sure. The paed was really surprised at the assessment of the speech pathologists (as was I, complete shock) and was like "are these paediatric speech paths??". Maybe there is room for a second opinion - if you are so surprised maybe it's wrong?? It seems like a pretty big thing to not see. Were there other issues that got him assessed in the first place (hearing, behaviour etc)? Sounds horrible anyway, I've gone through a similar thing this last month and it's awful. Hugs

Sent from my HTC One X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, he behaved normally. I was surprised, but it still makes sense IYKWIM? Looking back over the past couple of years, this explains so much. It's also in keeping with what the GP, kindy and paediatrician all hinted at, it was just laid out far more explicitly today.

I'm particularly curious about what to expect long term. I've been given the impression it's a very long road we're set to travel; I'd love to hear from anyone who's come out the other side.

My eldest did 18 months of speech therapy, but that was for completely different reasons... This is way beyond my experience :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    A child can be very functional with non verbal communication. It's amazing how well children adapt to communicating with gesture and non verbal cues. Children with language disorders usually respond well to therapy it's just a matter of putting in the work at home as well. Good luck with it all =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you feel that he was that far behind with his speech? And are they thinking that the speech issues are caused by something else? ASD or anything like that?

We do weekly speech therapy and that helps, but honestly. I had heard so many stories about kids with delays and within a year they were talking normally etc, and it wasn't the case with DS2. I was really upset because I just assumed he would be like the stories I'd heard. As with your DS - he is really good at letting us know what he wants even without the speech!

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Both. She didn't give an age equivalent, but said he was in the bottom 1% in both.

Which was an enormous shock, as he's surprisingly functional. She said he's very, very good at utilising non-verbal cues to figure out what people want from him.