+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It was important to us that their middle names were meaningful (both DH's and mine are - his is his god father's name and mine is my paternal grandmother's maiden name). So DS's middle name is my maiden name and DD's is DH's god mother's name (she passed away 15 years ago)

We went with names we liked for first names over tradition. But DD's name is French (DH is French) which swayed us towards it when choosing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter has my middle name, which also happens to be my Mums and Grandmother's middle name and my MIL's first name.

My son has his paternal Great Grandmother's maiden name as his middle name

For us, middle names are for family tradition, nothing else, we would only give a family name as a middle name or otherwise would not bother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    It's not something new OP, people have been giving their children their names since the beginning of time. In fact it's far less common these days, although maybe it's coming back into fashion again? I haven't noticed it myself, I don't know a single person who shares a name with mother or father (apart from middle names but again, that's always been a common thing to do).
    Agree with this too. My first name is my mums middle name. It's a family name that has been used over many generations. Mum was really disappointed I didn't use it for DDs middle name but I don't particularly like it and its becoming old fashioned! My brother has my dads name as his middle name and my sister also chose it for her DS middle name. So I don't think it's anything new.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me its a family tradition. I have my mums name, she has her mums name etc. I wanted to be part of the tradition

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I have my mum's middle name as mine. I'm not quite sure why as we aren't from a family orientated family where traditions have meaning.
    In saying that, if I had of had a girl, there is a good chance she would of have got my middle name as I'm just so unoriginal and struggle with names.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not something new! My aunts, uncles and grandparents did the same thing. We gave DS DH's name as his middle name, as DH's name is a family name (his Dad's middle name also). There's history to it, it's the name of an old family friend from generations ago who did wonderful things for DH's grandparents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS has the same first name as DH.

We had a lot of trouble finding a boy's name we both liked. One day DH suggested we could use his name, not as a tribute to my DH or anything, simply because he really likes his name. I thought 'maybe'.

I ended up having DS almost 9 weeks early. When he was born he looked like a teeny tiny version of DH. I just knew straight away that he suited DH's name, so we went with it (they have different middle names). We simply had no other name in mind for him.

Some people don't understand it and their mind is blown. I know some people think it must mean the parent has a huge ego to name their kid after them. Honestly, it wasn't like that for us at all!

Luckily I don't care what anyone thinks and I have no regrets

Thanks
    Reviews
    dd has the same middle name as me and my mother. Wanted to keep it going

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive known a few families where the father and son have the same first name. Too confusing for me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its lovely to give your child a name that means something and has a sense of history. However, my husband has the same name as his father (this has gone on for four generations). When I found out I was having a boy I was upset because I felt like all naming choice was taken away from me. It wasn't as if I didn't like the name. It's just very popular, which I didn't want.

We ended up compromising on the name that literally means "son of" name. Everyone's happy. My son has a name that suits him and has a sense of tradition. He also has a family middle name.