+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Why did you give your child your name?

Hi just wondering why people are giving their children their names as first or second names?
    I've noticed it becoming a big trend, particularly as middle names.
    Is it sentimental? Because you like your name? Tradition?
    I couldn't think of anything worse but that's because I don't like my name!!
    Just interested in why people do it, not meant in a negative way, just interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know for my friends that do it, it is tradition. My kids have their own names with no family tradition. I'm named after a relative that my parents didn't even like, just because it was the done thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 has my middle name as her first name. Both DH and I liked the name, and my mother wanted to be called by that name but wasn't, so it was an easy choice. To even things up we gave her an unusual middle name which is from DH's side of the family.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter's middle name is the same as mine. I guess I did it because
    a) I actually really love my middle name
    b) I felt like she could carry a part of me with her forever; it felt like a bond that only the two of us, as mother and daughter, could share- I never thought I'd have another baby, let alone a daughter, so was thrilled to be able to use my name for another female in the family and celebrate it
    c) I was the only girl out of a family of males, I have 3 brothers, no sisters and my first born is a boy; I didn't want my name to end with me
    d) The first letter of the name is 'J' and that runs in my family- both of my parents have names starting with J, my maternal grandmother, paternal grandfather, brother's middle names, my late brother's first name, even my DS all have J names, so as her first name isn't a J, I wanted her to have it as her middle initial.

Having said all that, I didn't actually sit down and give it that much thought- it just felt right and I guess those are the reasons why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tradition. My middle name was my grand mothers, DH's middle name is his father's, my sister's middle name is my mum's name, my brother's middle name is my dad's middle name, I could go on. There was no pressure to do this from anyone, we just liked the tradition and wanted to carry it on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sons middle name is my Dh middle name which is also his fathers and grandfathers so quite a bit of history and we loved the thought of carrying it on. We hope DS will carry it on if he has a son of his own.

If we have a dd, her middle name will be rose which is my middle name. Not sure if we have another DS, maybe use my dads middle name and hope he can continue with that tradition should he choose.

Its just nice to "carry on a name" and that's why we did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was named after someone and my daughter is named after her too. So we have the same second part of our names.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not something new OP, people have been giving their children their names since the beginning of time. In fact it's far less common these days, although maybe it's coming back into fashion again? I haven't noticed it myself, I don't know a single person who shares a name with mother or father (apart from middle names but again, that's always been a common thing to do).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

babycake  (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it's very traditional. I have the same middle name as my mum, and my brother has my dad's first name as his middle name. So does my cousin. Our son will have DH's dad's name as his middle name. I think it's nice for middle names to be a tribute to someone in the family, or a close friend, as the name MEANS something and isn't just a name you like or one that "sounds good". Sharing first names can be a bit OTT though, I agree. But it's still traditional, especially for men/boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    It's not something new OP, people have been giving their children their names since the beginning of time. In fact it's far less common these days, although maybe it's coming back into fashion again? I haven't noticed it myself, I don't know a single person who shares a name with mother or father (apart from middle names but again, that's always been a common thing to do).
    I agree, I think it is less common now.