+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    If you dont mind me asking, does he have valid reasons for not wanting you to go? Somethings gotta give surely if he is unhappy at work and wants to transfer he would be happy for you to go with him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JAUSMROS View Post
    . I have discussed the moving there thing, but he doesn't want me to.
    Has he given you a reason why?

If it was not FIFO, just come home when he could then no, that would not be acceptable at all to me. Why be together?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really, his reasons are that he doesn't want me away from my family and that he doesn't want me in that mining environment. Yeah well that's why its so hard for me, the just come home when I can thing, no certainty at all. I don't want to break up over it, but just cant seem to see myself dealing with it very well in the long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You, he & the baby are your family unit now. That's #1 priority. To me, I'd much rather be at a distance from my parents than my partner. In fact, my parents live in a diff state.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry if this is an insensitive question, but was your pregnancy planned? Had you discussed with him before now that you would rather he stayed with you and not work away once you had kids? Because you say in the past 2 years he has worked away a bit, I don't think it's completely unreasonable for him to ask now. You keep saying you didn't 'make' him move to Brisbane, but it doesn't really sound like he's completely settled there. He's allowed to change his mind about living in Brisbane, but it sounds like you guys need to sit down and have an enormous chat about what you each want and how you can reach a compromise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Sorry if this is an insensitive question, but was your pregnancy planned? Had you discussed with him before now that you would rather he stayed with you and not work away once you had kids? Because you say in the past 2 years he has worked away a bit, I don't think it's completely unreasonable for him to ask now. You keep saying you didn't 'make' him move to Brisbane, but it doesn't really sound like he's completely settled there. He's allowed to change his mind about living in Brisbane, but it sounds like you guys need to sit down and have an enormous chat about what you each want and how you can reach a compromise.
    It was a if it happens it happens type situation, I wouldn't say planned, but I wouldn't say unplanned either if that makes sense. Yes I guess we have a lot to talk about - I've probably made it sound like a crappy relationship but hes just a very particular person, workaholic and worries a lot about $$$, so I guess he probably sees it from that prespective more than anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Looking on the flip side..could he get a FIFO position so that he will be home on a regular basis?

That way he gets to go back to working where he likes, you don't have to move from your family AND it won't just be him getting home when he can...

My husband works FIFO and has done since before we had kids. It is a bit harder to deal with once children come along but if you have family near by for support it's doable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (06-12-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JAUSMROS View Post
    It was a if it happens it happens type situation, I wouldn't say planned, but I wouldn't say unplanned either if that makes sense. Yes I guess we have a lot to talk about - I've probably made it sound like a crappy relationship but hes just a very particular person, workaholic and worries a lot about $$$, so I guess he probably sees it from that prespective more than anything.
    Nope, doesn't sound like a crappy relationship at all, just sounds like you've run into one of those issues that come up from time to time where you're both going to have to give up a bit to make a compromise. A sticky situation but I'm sure you'll sort it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Nope, doesn't sound like a crappy relationship at all, just sounds like you've run into one of those issues that come up from time to time where you're both going to have to give up a bit to make a compromise. A sticky situation but I'm sure you'll sort it out.
    Yes fingers crossed, it will all pan out out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it is a smart idea to remain near family for the first couple of months of bub's life- the support is invaluable. When the bub is 6months old, I would then tell him that we could give it a go for 12months. If we don't like it, we'll move back.