+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default what the hell can I eat??

I'm really confused about what I can eat. So many things seem to have deli meat, or soft cheese/cream cheese or raw fruit/veggies in it. I'm constantly slipping up & then spending hours in tears because I'm so freaked out that I've harmed my baby.

This is my first pregnancy through IVF & after the massive IVF journey etc I just want everything to go well.

I just spent the last hour crying because we bought some pre-cut watermelon on the weekend cause I was craving it & I've eaten some every day this week (it was cut up & kept in a sealed container in the fridge). I never even considered the fact it was a massive listeria risk until someone told me today. So now I'll probably get listeria & kill my baby

A week or so ago DH was nice enough to take me into the city for the evening & I spent half an hour walking round & round the foodcourt trying to find something I thought I could eat. In the end I didn't get anything & had to just sit there & watch DH eat his dinner. I was ravenous by the time I got home so I didn't enjoy my evening out at all. What's the point in even bothering to go out on dates then if I can't eat anything??

Oh & xmas is going to be fun - I guess I'll just sit there & watch everyone else eat. Cause it will all be cold meat/deli meat, raw fruit & veggies, soft cheese, smoked fish, & raw egg (desserts etc). I don't understand how I'm meant to be able to go out & do anything (like enjoy my christmas) when I can't eat anything. I've already had to miss out on my work xmas party because the food was going to be a buffet so I figured I wouldn't be able to eat anything & I wasn't going to pay $25 to sit & watch everyone else eat. Everyone keeps bringing morning teas to work as well because it's xmas & sometimes I slip up & freak out!

What exactly do people do when they are pregnant? What do you eat?
    Last edited by heartstringz; 04-12-2013 at 17:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just relax, listeria is extremely rare in Australia and food poisoning from dodgy food is very unlikely to harm your unborn baby.
    Be smart and be aware where you buy your food from, if you go to a dodgy food court or places like subway where things sit out all day being cross contaminated with each other then you are more likely to get sick - not necessarily listeria. In all honesty I haven't stopped eating anything bar raw fish/sashimi in my pregnancy. I still have deli meats mostly in toasted sandwiches so it's hot but I have cold turkey sandwiches too I make at home, I eat sushi rolls from nice places that have a high turnover.
    You will be fine, just be smart and listen to your instincts best of luck for a smooth pregnancy x

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ponytail For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (04-12-2013),Cue  (05-12-2013),heartstringz  (04-12-2013),LadyInWeighting  (04-12-2013),LoCo  (05-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate everything as normal barr deli meats/cold sea food etc. Make yourself something nice and homemade for xmas and bring it. Honestly, you will spend your whole pregnancy miserable and not enjoy it if you don't relax a bit. Make sure meats are heated to hot, your eggs are well boiled/cooked/scrambled.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate normally, just not seafood and fancy cheeses but everything else was fine... I craved pancakes so made them nearly every day as well as toasted sandwiches... enjoy your pregnancy and congratulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Take a deep breath hon.

You CAN have salad and raw veg that you prepare yourself. Just make sure you peel and wash everything really thoroughly. You can even buy a wash to help sanitise them if you're worried.

Soft cheese is a no, but you can have hard cheese so it's not all bad!

Deli meats - look, if you really want ham, have it hit. Do a baked ham for Christmas. Have it in a toasted sandwich or heated in a pan. It's still delicious!

No soft serve, but you can still have regular icecream.

Buy your watermelon whole if you're super worried. Give half to a friend if it's too much for you.

Food courts- go for toasted sandwiches for a treat, a freshly made burger. Personally, I still ate salads from places I trusted, because I don't believe the risk of listeria means I should avoid salad in favour of hot chips iykwim. But we all make our own risk assessments and I understand that such a hard own pregnancy might make your assessment different to mine if that makes sense.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ponytail is right - listeria is very rare in Australia.
    And you are not more likely to get it just because you are pregnant.

I too have finally gotten pregnant this year with ivf - now 17+3w. Initially I freaked out about everything but really it comes down to common sense. Think about where you are buying things from, what the turnover is like and how long it's been there for. I would honestly worry less about precut packaged fruit than i would say about a buffet. But I will straight out admit I have eaten at a buffet once so far - by just being careful of what I chose to eat there.

There is plenty you can eat! Try not to be so hard on yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm I eat all sorts of fruit, even the cut stuff. Never even know it was a problem and this is my 3rd pregnancy.

I eat everything except for soft cheeses. I even eat a slice of prosciutto when I have a craving (not that I am telling you to do the same).

Raw egg? Wouldn't even cross my mind to eat it.

Ok I don't eat sushi or sashimi but a good teriyaki would satisfy my craving for Japanese!

I don't thinky diet is all that different to normal actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You sound exactly like me during my pregnancy, also IVF so I was extremely worried at start, and used to wander around food courts also lol, my craving was watermelon and I swear the last trimester I ate it every.single.night. I also had ham at chrissy. Just be cautious but don't stress yourself out. This is a beautiful, special time for you. Listeria is rare so don't worry. Enjoy it, goes way too quick :-)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Anything steaming hot is fine. So a Chinese takeaway is fine.

Cream cheese is fine, it's soft cheese like Camembert that's a risk.

Fruit and raw veg is fine. Just wash it first and if you make a salad eat it within 12 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not much one for soft cheeses or cold seafood to begin with so I have only changed how I eat food. Meat is always heated thoroughly, I make my own salads and wash them well, and if I eat out and there is nothing but a buffet I grab things as they bring them out piping hot . I do eat take away from high turnover places [if I'm travelling, I don't eat out much usually], most places make stuff fresh these days anyway so the risk there is also minimal. I avoid soft serve, but I make my own at home and its pretty yummy

Just relax and be sensible about food choices, don't worry about people who tell you things are a risk [some people have it really wrong, or they like to freak pregnant people out ].

http://www.papapetros.com.au/Listeria_Brochure.pdf

Here's a brochure that outlines it pretty well