+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Salt in food for 17 months old

I have a 17 months old and is always told not to put salt or oil in her food. So every night, I need to cook two dinner, the steam plain version and our dinner. Recently I find that DD has lost interested in her baby version and would often point at our food. First it started with the roast chicken, then steak, pasta, stir fried vege .... I am happy she is willing to chew the food, however I am worried she may develop a "salty" tooth as our food is often marinated with soy sauce, salt, Chinese wine, sesame oil (I am Chinese and often does stir fry). I am wondering at 17 months old, can she eat our food???

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes she can.
    I will often buy the low salt version of a product where available.
    I'm sure if your child is eating a balanced variety of fruit and vegetables throughout the day then the sodium content in a meal here and there shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't be seasoning everything in salt, but if it's already in the soy sauce etc then that's fine. I have a 16 month old and she generally eats what we do but I do still avoid adding extra seasoning to her portions.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Avoid it where you can BUT there's no problem at all with your toddler eating your food and I would seriously be encouraging it!

Some salt is also beneficial as we are a nation of iodine deficiency.

Just avoid fatty/salty things like hot chips, KFC, maccas. Things that have bad fats and salts and no nutritional value. Your stirfries might have some salt in them and the oil you cook in but they will also have a high nutrient content because of the veggies and meat options. It kind've balances it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It can ges a bit difficult with Asian dishes as the meat is always marinated before it is cooked I will try to omit the salt.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it is fine. Once my babies turn one they eat almost all of the same meals as us, the only change I make is to omit chillies or any foods they genuinely don't like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can cut out the salt if you are using soy as its salty enough! Don't give her those meals every day as yes soy sauce is extremely high in salt ( 1 teaspoon is nearly half her daily requirement !) and her little kidneys will work overtime ! Try low sodium soy, don't forget salt is needed but its in just about everything we eat , bread , cereal, meats and any processed spreads or packet foods
    Dinner every couple of nights will be fine but just make sure the day after she has a high salt meal to not give any the next day and make sure she is drinking water

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-12-2013)