+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with Egg free cakes, muffins, pancakes

Hi,

My 17 months old has eggs allergy (egg white, yolk and she can't tolerate eggs cook on high temp so no normal cakes..etc). Before we found out she has egg allergy, she tried banana bread, muffins, pancakes and she loves all of them. And she often had them for breakfast and tea, except she got eczema breakout or swollen eyes a few days later which pushed us to see an allergist to confirm her egg allergy.

I was given a egg free recipe for pancakes recently, it tastes fine except it doesn't taste like pancakes, more like the roti that I get from restaurants. (Banana was used to replace the egg).

Do any mums have any egg free recipes that taste similar to the normal versions? Would be great if you can share with me!!

Many thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Will talk to my SIL for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a daughter who is allergic to egg and we use a product called "No egg" from the health food section at Coles. I use normal recipes and cake mixes and add the no egg instead of a real egg.

Sent from my U8510 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I use buttermilk to make banana muffins for ds as there's a kid in his kinder with egg allergy, and they taste great better than egg ones I think. I replace the normal milk for buttermilk and it helps with the thickness and holding together

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We just make vegan cake recipes - there's a few really nice moist and fluffy chocolate options out there.

Biscuits, especially oaty/muesli style ones, work well with banana or yogurt as a substitute however I've also found the only thing that tastes like real pancakes is pancakes made with egg! Although I've yet to try the no-egg...never available in either of our supermarkets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Eta. I also make pancakes with buttermilk, have used both egg and no egg and notice no real difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure of the detail but I know chia seeds are used as an egg substitute as they create a gel like substance that probably 'binds'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you ladies. And usually when banana is used to substitute the egg, how much banana do u use?? Buttermilk - if I use buttermilk, I wouldn't need to put extra bananas in the recipe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I normally mash the banana REALLY well and scoop out what looks like an egg sized amount, about 2 tablespoons. Two bananas normally give about three eggs worth.

No, you don't need to add banana if you use buttermilk. But be careful when adding other liquids as you will need less water or less regular milk if you use buttermilk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried a banana pikelet recipe I made up yesterday - one banana mashed VERY smooth, about 2/3rds to 1 cup of self-raising flour, a heap dessert spoon of Greek yogurt, a dessert spoon of extra soft butter and enough water to form a thick batter. Then I added a roughly mashed banana to make them chunky banana flavoured.

Fried over a gentle heat in butter, but much more slowly than normal pikelets. Served with honey for me and plain for her - they were a hit.