Closed Thread
Page 79 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ainsley- huge congrats on your perfect pair, how adorable, you must be so excited!l

Riss- good luck for your 20wk scan too. I have 3 different Bounty bags too and all 3 have the checklist in them so I think you'll be in luck.

JJTiger- like October suggested, I've been told and am planning to use Purity. Apparently it's reasonably priced and you can use it for all loads, not just baby clothes. I've also been told that Omo Sensitive is good for babies, if you're after another recommendation.

Arlais- I'm happy to hear you are sticking to your chosen name but understand your disappointment. I had told everyone our preferred boy and girl name and wasn't sure if I regretted being so open about it. Luckily we were more set on our boy name and since we found out we were having a girl, we started thinking of other names. I've started to tell people that we aren't convinced of the previous name and are reconsidering. Yesterday, we decided on a new name for our little girl and only our closest family know it. I'm sure others will start asking in a few weeks if we have picked a name but I have a list of 4 or 5 girls names we really like that we'll say we're still deciding between.

Orchids- I haven't heard of epi-no but will have to look it up and find out about it.
    As for bottle feeding, I've been told to establish a good breast feeding routine (if you choose to and are able to) and introduce a bottle at around 6wks of age, any earlier and the baby may refuse to go back to the breast. I then plan to get DH to bottle feed expressed milk once a week (apparently if we do it, bub will smell our breast milk and get confused) so she gets used to taking a bottle, that was DH feels more involved and if bub is with my parents, I can leave them with expressed milk. I also bought closer to nature bottles, as the teats are supposed to be similar to a nipple. Hope this makes sense...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annerley For This Useful Post:

JJTiger  (06-02-2014),Orchids  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Orchids, the general advice certainly seems to be that it is important to establish successful breastfeeding before introducing a bottle, or a dummy for that matter too. It is a different tyoe of skill that the bubs get used to. Having said that, plenty of people introduce those things early with no problem. I do know friends who didn't introduce a bottle for a few months and their baby wouldn't take one, they'd left it too long! Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Sometimes you have no choice over it, but certainly I was always told to get the breastfeeding going well first.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Octoberbaby2010 For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly double congrats Ainsley for your perfect duo wow if were having twins this would be the best gender outcome as they get to be individual in their own way and have that twin link as well. Amazing news!!

Finding it exciting seeing everyone getting past their 20week scan makes me smile, congrats ladies.

Ok so antenatal class and a few additions to hospital bag:

*Lip balm - as all the hugging & puffing and gas can make lips extremely dry.

* Hair ties &/ clips for mums even if they have shoulder length hair as it will very likely annoy you

*Water bottle so easier to have a drink every 15min no matter what position your in as drinking from a glass can be difficult if say lying on side.

*Pack babies first out fit desperate from all other clothes so easy to get and Dad doesn't get in trouble for grabbing the wrong thing. Tie them in a bundle & have layer options (eg singlet, bodysuit, jumpsuit, cardigan, large swaddle/wrap, blanket, hat, mittens, &
    Booties)

*pack soft lollies as gas can leave yucky taste in mouth and hard lollies you could choke on more easily during a contraction.

* be careful of the oils & lotions you bring as some have nut oils (that bub may have allergies to or have harsh chemicals in them that you may not want on bub suggested that water alone is perfectly fine.

* When you arrive you can leave the rest of bubs stuff in car (other then first clothes bundle) as won't be needed until bub has arrived and settled.

* during labour it's handy to wear clothes you can throw if they get yucky and throwable socks too. She also said try to wear a long nighty or shirt that will cover your butt if your on all fours with butt in air for your own comfort. Plus handy if it's easy to open from top so button up so bub can be put on your chest. Then a change of clothes for after so old clothes & socks can be thrown.

* dads should pack swimmer trunks or something other then speedos or undies so they can come in the shower or the bath if needed to support you and have change of clothes for after as wet jeans become uncomfortable fast.

* if you have time take snacks with you especially for dad's so they don't have to leave room as sometimes hospital only has leftover sandwiches to offer, especially if you go in after dinner time.

* call before you go to hospital so they can pull your file and be ready for you.

* music - can be calming and can drown out other mums in labour

* I'm taking my own exercise ball as apparently there's can be flat or hard to get hands on. That way I can have mine in shower too

* spare batteries and memory cards for camera (and make sure there is one in their if it needs it)

& can't think of anything else right now but I found it very beneficial

👫 First bub for DH and I after 10 cycles of IVF 🎉
    Celebrating and looking forward to meeting Junior - our Baby BOY!!!!
    EDD 24May14 🍼

http://www.bubhub.com.au/tickers/ima...D%5B/center%5D

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (06-02-2014),Arlais  (05-02-2014),Kerikiwi  (09-02-2014),Ngaiz  (05-02-2014),Octoberbaby2010  (06-02-2014),Orchids  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Veritas and Octoberbaby, I totally agree with you. Persevere with BF and ask for help from a lactation consultant if you need it. It is so worth it. DS was jaundiced in the first few days and I had to do formula top ups too but only for the first week until I built up my supply. So many women in the UK try to BF and stop because it's too difficult in those first weeks. At least here in Australia we have the support of amazing lactation consultants and also the Australian Breastfeeding Association.

Jay, I used nipple shields in the early days on advice from the LC and after a few days didn't need them any more. They were really helpful in getting DS to latch on at the start.

Annerley, congrats on the morphology results. Yay!

Ainsley, congrats on your news of a boy and a girl! How exciting!

Arlais, how annoying about the name. Best to stick with the name you love regardless.

Orchids, I used an Epi-No with DS and had a normal delivery with intact perineum. I didn't even get all the way up to 10 as DS came early but it was enough to get me through it! Can definitely recommend it!

Jay, great additions to the hospital bag! Yes hair ties and a hair band that will keep all your hair off your face. It is surprising how annoying stray hairs over your face get during labour!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleMissMagic For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (06-02-2014),Orchids  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We get asked heaps about names and we don't tell anyone those we are seriously considering. I usually change the conversation slightly by telling a name that we liked but can't use for whatever reason, names we really disagree on, or a funny story about a name etc. People usually don't ask twice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on all your awesome morph scan results Annerley , Berra & Ainsley

Panda-
    Yes I've had pains under the bump and radiating down to my groin. I asked my OB and he said its normal. Something to do with ligaments stretching & softening.

Hope- the photos were lovely! Going to look even better when you have a bigger bump to show off. Hope your placenta moves upwards soon.

Amps- such a cute bump! Definitely all baby

Jay- awesome tips on packing for hospital . Lovely to hear of all your latest purchases, you are so well prepared! Loved the 24wk bump pic.

Rtkirk- the cot is a perfect fit! Of course there'll be room for the baby in your house. Friends of mine who had a bub are living in a house with 11 other people (the grandmother's house complete with siblings and partners), and they're getting by just fine. Don't ask me how though!

JJ- good luck with the glucose test today! Your birthing class sounded awesome, glad they made it fun for you. People really should keep opinions about names to themselves... Mia is gorgeous, don't let that awful comment put you off.

Spidery- love the blanket! You have inspired me to get out the crochet hook .

Arlais- a breast pump is on my 'wait and see' list. Not going to buy in advance incase BF doesn't work out. If I do need one, I've picked out the Unimom Allegro, its not too dear at $130 and is a closed system. I'm with you on looking forward to being a SAHM, even though I love my job I'm so happy I won't have to worry about work for at least 12 months. Oh and definitely packing make up in my toiletry kit! Sorry some of your thunder has been stolen with the work colleague choosing the same name. Just shows what good taste you have if other people are using it!

Veritas- looking gorgeous! The cot came up a treat, must have been fiddly painting around all that detail. Thanks for the BF tips, really handy stuff and I really want to succeed at it. Have fun at your baby shower!

Riss- there's a newborn checklist here on BH http://www.bubhub.com.au/hubbub-blog...ery_checklist/ . Plus every baby shop's website has one too.

Bedlover- Love your low-tech bottle warming system! I was planning on using a steel milk frothing jug & hot water too, having worked in labs where samples have to be warmed or cooled to a specific temp, I found a good 'ol waterbath is quickest & easiest. The story about your first-time shopping attempt made me smile, after 3 weeks I'd be happy to get as far as the shops too! Love the tips on BF tops and puppy pads, very handy indeed.

October- will definitely be filling our stand-alone freezer with heaps of pre-cooked dinners. My DH is not handy in the kitchen lol. Thanks for the tip about on-line groceries too, I can see myself doing that. As for BF-friendly clothes I have several tops which come to a low V in front and I wear a boob-tube/crop top underneath, it seems to give good (but modest) access when I pop the V neck across and the boob tube up. I like Bedlover's ideas too.

Annerley- how sweet that your Mum has kept your baby things and now you can use them for your own little girl! Getting the nursery all cleared out is a big step too, won't be long and it'll be full of baby things!

hwaterhouse- good luck with the GTT results . Love your baby shower theme and yay for starting leave already. I still have 50 working days to go... ugh.

LMM- The Juju Sundin birth skills book comes highly recommended, definitely keen to read that. I didn't know there were classes too, thanks! Great to hear the epi-no helped in your case, I'm so worried about tearing or needing an episiotomy.

Orchids- have heard of the epi-no, but haven't decided if I'll get one. After LMMs story, will give it some serious thought.

Ainsley- congrats on your pigeon pair, such a blessing! Would love to see a twin bump pic.

Hi to everyone else

AFM- I've got my 2hr GTT tomorrow morning then see my OB next Thurs for results. No major complaints, luckily not too much ligament pain and haven't been hit with heartburn yet. My ankles & feet have swollen up in the last few days though, looks like my Pop's feet when he gets gout .

Bump seems bigger every 5 mins! Here's a comparison of 20 vs 26 weeks... scary to think how huge I'll be in another 12-13 weeks' time.

Bump 20 vs 26 wks.jpg
    Last edited by BH-tech; 17-08-2015 at 11:48. Reason: Link Update

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (06-02-2014),Arlais  (06-02-2014),Orchids  (06-02-2014),Spidery  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Annerley & Octoberbaby - thanks a lot for the advice about BFing and bottles. I can't tell how useful it is to get more info/advice on this as there is just much to think about with preparing for bubs arrival!! Will def look into the 'closer to nature' bottles Annerley, thanks!

Jay- you're the hospital bag queen! So organised and thorough Going to make a note of all that you suggest.

LMM- great to hear you had no tears (yayy!!) and highly recommend the epi-no. I randomly came across a post that discussed it and just noticed that the info pack for my calm birth class includes a pamphlet about it. The thing that scares me is inserting it and pumping it up...but of course its supposed to stretch everything down there to prepare for birth. Is it painful??
    Re Juju Sundin- i bought her book several months ago but am only a few pages in. Really like it so far. Had looked at her website and saw her course offered but given the cost I thought i'd do a calm birth course and use the techniques in Juju's book (as opposed to reading her book and doing the course as well). Where did u get the juggling balls from? (i know they're not used for juggling but for banging together!!)

Simpson - great comparison pic! wow..baby is really growing My bump grew tremendously between 20-26 weeks so I can understand how u feel. Its like it happens overnight! Haha
    Good luck with your glucose test. I had my 1 hr challenge test earlier this week and became incredibly tired in a matter of mins and felt like i needed to vomit in the last 20mins. Luckily I didn't though! Test came back and all good, but have to start taking iron tablets.

Hi to everyone else

Baby names...unlike many of you who have got your baby names sorted we have no clue! I keep meaning to borrow/buy a baby name book for some inspiration. So far with the few names DH and I have discussed we never reach any agreement. DH likes more common names and I tend to go for the unusual ones!

Lastly, just want to share that I am absolutely loving feeling bubs move. I didn't feel it until quite late and began to worry initially. Its the most incredible feeling I can't help but smile every time. The other day I was on a work call when bub moved and I almost broke out in laughter.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orchids For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (06-02-2014),SimpsonDesert  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Simpson and I hope your GTT test goes well. I've been meaning to take a 20wk bump photo this week and I'm going to get onto it, looking forward to seeing the changes over the next few weeks! I feel very lucky to have my own baby clothes for our little girl to wear. I was a spring baby but mum assures me that they were big on me when I first wore them so hoping they'll fit a winter bub when it starts to warm up.

I really appreciate your tips and lists, Jay, also going to write some notes and have already shared some of your tips with DH!

No worries Orchids! I'm fortunate enough to be part of a June 2014 Facebook group where I get such helpful advice as a number of the ladies already have a tribe of kids so that's where I got the breast feeding/ bottle feeding info from. We have a 'there's no such thing as too much info or a silly question' rule. If any of the other June ladies would like to know how to join just pm me as it's a private group. Apparently there are groups for other months as well but I've heard that there are some where the ladies get really nasty with each other, the June group is really supportive and has a couple of Ivfers and long term ttc ladies also. I feel that between this group and that group, I couldn't be luckier to have so much support and knowledge around me. I've heard that the Facebook groups still exist even after the babies are born so you can gain helpful baby advice and share stories, etc but I've also noticed that there are some threads like this that are 12mths old and the ladies still keep in touch, sharing stories of sleepless nights and teething and even 1st birthday plans. Hopefully we'll all have time to keep in touch and offer advice to each other when our babies have arrived!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annerley For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (07-02-2014),Orchids  (06-02-2014),SimpsonDesert  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought I'd put the list and all the antenatal tips together for ease as some of you mentioned going back through thread to find the bits and pieces this way if you click on and say quote then you can copy and paste into your notes or an email if you want and delete what you don't want or add if you want - apologise for its length as smashed a few posts together to make it the one list. Hope it helps!

Pregnancy Hospital bag 'What to Pack' & Tips

(info from brochure for my hospital although I know it will vary I'm guessing most of the stuff will be similarity).

Anyway it says the following:

For Mums:
    -Paperwork ( pregnancy info record & prenatal info form that OB should give me)
    -health fund card / Medicare card & Blood Group card
    - enough money for paying incidentals (like for hubby to stay also heard its handy to have vending machine change)
    -Pen
    -watch or clock
    -tissues
    -toiletries
    -Comfortable casual clothing and footwear
    -old shirt or nighty for labour
    - nighty or dressing gown (optional)
    *maternity bras & briefs
    *super sanitary pads / maternity pads
    *one box of nursing pads / breast pads

Do not bring:
    - valuables like jewellery or large sums of money.
    - wheat or heat packs

For Bub
    * Approved child restraint, required by law
    * 5x night gowns or grow suits
    * 5x singlets & or bodysuits
    * Nappy change lotion, or lotion & pure soap
    * Cotton wool balls
    * Baby wraps
    * Small amount of spare nappies for discharge (I'm going to have nappy bag in car which will also have wipes)

OPTIONAL ITEMS
    - Mittens
    - Booties
    - Hats
    - Dummy
    - Cardigans

Then of coarse hubby if staying needs his PJs, toiletries & Change of clothes.

Tips from antenatal class and a few additions to hospital bag:

*Lip balm - as all the hugging & puffing and gas can make lips extremely dry.

* Hair ties &/ clips for mums even if they have shoulder length hair as it will very likely annoy you

*Water bottle so easier to have a drink every 15min no matter what position your in as drinking from a glass can be difficult if say lying on side.

*Pack babies first out fit desperate from all other clothes so easy to get and Dad doesn't get in trouble for grabbing the wrong thing. Tie them in a bundle & have layer options (eg singlet, bodysuit, jumpsuit, cardigan, large swaddle/wrap, blanket, hat, mittens, &
    Booties)

*pack soft lollies as gas can leave yucky taste in mouth and hard lollies you could choke on more easily during a contraction.

* be careful of the oils & lotions you bring as some have nut oils (that bub may have allergies to or have harsh chemicals in them that you may not want on bub suggested that water alone is perfectly fine.

* When you arrive you can leave the rest of bubs stuff in car (other then first clothes bundle) as won't be needed until bub has arrived and settled.

* during labour it's handy to wear clothes you can throw if they get yucky and throwable socks too. She also said try to wear a long nighty or shirt that will cover your butt if your on all fours with butt in air for your own comfort. Plus handy if it's easy to open from top so button up so bub can be put on your chest. Then a change of clothes for after so old clothes & socks can be thrown.

* dads should pack swimmer trunks or something other then speedos or undies so they can come in the shower or the bath if needed to support you and have change of clothes for after as wet jeans become uncomfortable fast.

* if you have time take snacks with you especially for dad's so they don't have to leave room as sometimes hospital only has leftover sandwiches to offer, especially if you go in after dinner time.

* call before you go to hospital so they can pull your file and be ready for you.

* music - can be calming and can drown out other mums in labour

* I'm taking my own exercise ball as apparently there's can be flat or hard to get hands on. That way I can have mine in shower too

* spare batteries and memory cards for camera (and make sure there is one in their if it needs it)

* notepad and spare pens

* mattress protector & waterproof bed covers for car seat and your own mattress at home to avoid water breakage / leakage destroying them (also got great tip from Bedlover about using pup wee pads sound like the perfect idea). Had previously head this same tip & was told to keep a spare cot fitted mattress protector and some towels in car closer to due date for the same reason. Towel would go on first then protector then some more towels. Might supplement the towels for puppy wee pads now though as less bulky and reckon better holding properties.
    For bed a waterproof fitted mattress protector / or new painting drop sheet serves a few purposes other then when water breaks/leaks as it's apparently handy in first few week home to stop bub chucks, pee or just a breast leakage issue ruining you mattress.

& can't think of anything else right now but I found it very beneficial

I was having a look through list figured I might added to the hospital list the following:

* nipple cream (Lansinoh HPA Brand Lanolin which doesn't Need to be removed before feeding)

* bibs,

* my breast pump (hand Avent & electric Medela with a couple of storage bags and bottles so I can use my own in hospital and get used to it

* my breast friend / breast feeding pillow too as figured if I want to use it at home best to start using it straight away so it's familiar to bub, hubby (when he does feeds) and myself.

* my pregnancy pillow, wedge just in case it's a long labour as they might come in handy to keep me comfy between contractions and even sleeping in hospital after bub is born.

*possibly PJ bottoms or tracksuit pants or even a loose cotton strap/strapless dress (like what you'd wear to beach)

* Cardigan (if needed) for after birth & around ward!

LMM - I will check out Witchery next time at shops tks for tip.

*note 1: nursery or breast pads - I got the Rite Aid brand and they are individually wrapped in like a plastic wrap similar to sanitary pads were I was given the Johnstons Ultra Form which aren't wrapped at all and the Pigeon Disposable Contour fit ones which have a wrap but it it a breathable mesh so not water resistant. I mention this as I'll be using the Rite aid one in nappy bag just in case they fall out when I'm digging in bag or something I'd rather know they are still clean and dry. That being said the Johnston's ones are probably less fiddly to grab so would be really handy when at home as don't have to unwrap first and already are shaped where the others due to packaging have been folded if that makes sense. Anyway I'll get to try all three types and then I'll select what works from there if my milk is flowing and need it. Food for thought anyway.

In addition I found theses handy containers (with a lid & handle) at Woolworths for just over $15, which might be handy for shoes, toys, nappies etc
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1391685358.974239.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1391685371.789052.jpg

👫 First bub for DH and I after 10 cycles of IVF 🎉
    Celebrating and looking forward to meeting Junior - our Baby BOY!!!!
    EDD 24May14 🍼

http://www.bubhub.com.au/tickers/ima...D%5B/center%5D

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (07-02-2014),Ngaiz  (07-02-2014),Orchids  (06-02-2014),SimpsonDesert  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies... Happy Friday.. Glad to see everyone is doing well

Had my glucose test yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I thought until about the 1/2 way mark.. I got dizzy and really hot, luckily they put the a/c up and the lady was lovely so it settled within about 15 mins... Fingers crossed all the results are ok.. 28 weeks today and 8 weeks left of work!! Woo hoo..