Closed Thread
Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine is varnished Glad dh agreed to help me, looks like we will be sanding every weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ngaiz - if you knew whether it was oil or waterbased you wouldn't need to sand right back as long as you use the same again, you would just have to take the shine off. Are you going to varnish or paint?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm painting it White. It's an older cot, about 7 years old but it's nice and sturdy. I should get two tests pots and try it out haha will save a lot of work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re prams. We got a bugaboo chameleon and I really didn't rate it. It was super heavy, annoying having to take it to bits to unfold and every time I put it up it seemed to take a chunk out of my shins. My DS also never seemed 100% comfortable in the seat - like the upright position was too upright and the next position was too far back, and the straps don't tighten enough for smaller babies so were always flapping around leaving bub unsecured. Plus, we have a big car (Lexus rx350) and it takes up heaps of space.

If I had heaps I money I would buy a different brand but I am stuck with it for this bub.

On the plus side, I have a maxi cosi capsule that fits to it and I love how easy that is (big fan of not having to wake or disturb baby), the bassinet attachment came in really handy as a travel bed when visiting friends for the first few months as it can be a stand alone bassinet, and it hasn't had any problems in terms of lasting - it has worn well and comes up in the wash.

If anyone is considering it, I would research very carefully!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

lotsathoughts  (08-12-2013),Milly888  (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome Becca and good luck for your scan next week.

Lotsa great bargain hunting on the bra! Great that's it's comfy. When I had DS I got measured at around 16 weeks in a lingerie shop and they were able to advise on a size that would carry me right through pregnancy and feeding. It was cake brand and although it was expensive it should last through this one too. I also bought some M&S brand. I bought a couple from Myer too - can't remember the brand but they went out of shape quite quickly once I started feeding.

Amps I am sure you just can't wait to see the nursery all set up. Exciting!

Annerley good luck for your scan too next Friday.

Regarding prams I got the Mountain Buggy Swift when DS was born and I love it. Easy to put up and down and goes anywhere. It's narrow enough to get down even the most cluttered stores. I had the bassinet for DS for about the first 12 weeks and then I changed him to forward facing so he could see more than just the tops if trees. The only downside is you can't fit a second seat if you are hoping for another. You can get the skateboard and a little seat. I'm not going to buy a double pram as I'm not sure how much I would use it. I plan to get a decent carrier like an Ergo or Manduca and just see how I go.

A capsule for the first 6 months is priceless! It makes life so much easier and really helps if you want to establish a routine while still getting out and about.

That's my two cents worth!!

Hi to everyone else!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleMissMagic For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (08-12-2013),lotsathoughts  (08-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz - I would still recommend using a 3in1 for the first coat because it will help the topcoat to stick if you didn't quite sand back to bare timber everywhere. Also ladies, even though the new paint smell does fade faster these days I wouldn't leave it to the last couple of weeks just in case. The longer you can let it dry the more the paint will harden.

Researching prams is really doing my head in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lotsa- wonder if I'll see you on the plane as I assume you'll be flying into Sydney airport as well, hehe!

Thanks for the info Ngaiz- I researched the baby jogger after reading your post yesterday and noticed that there is more room for the 2nd seat (I had been concerned how you'd get a baby/child out if the second seat in the strider). I'm also unsure about why the seats aren't just made to fully reclining and whether this will be a problem with a newborn

Hope- great to hear from you! Just sent you a message on the other thread wondering how you'd been! Great scan pic and all the best for Thursday! Mine is Friday. I agree with Bugaboo being too overpriced. My MIL gave us money yesterday as she wanted to buy the baby something, even though she was very generous, I'd rather be able to put the money to good use and buy both a pram and the car seat with it rather than just part of a Bugaboo. I think they look awesome though but just can't justify the price!

Bedlover and LMM- thanks for your tips as well, always love hearing what ladies who have already done all this! I have heard stories of ladies buying a pram whilst pregnant and then buying another as they realised they didn't like it once they started using it- that's what I'm trying to avoid! Can I also ask, with the capsules is there a time limit on how long they should stay in them for as they are curved? Do you just get baby out as soon as you are back home so they aren't sleeping in there for hours? Sorry about being a clueless mum to be!

Amps- if you haven't already guessed by reading this post, I'm with you! This pram buying part is painful!!
    Last edited by Annerley; 08-12-2013 at 08:14.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annerley For This Useful Post:

lotsathoughts  (08-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Annerley, most guidelines will say not to leave the baby in a capsule for an extended period of time but I think if you are going on a long journey they advise to take the baby out for a stretch every two hours. I could be wrong but I don't think it's that the capsule is bad for their back it's more the risk of a newborn being able to slump forward and cause oxygen supply to be restricted. I personally wouldn't leave a baby in a capsule for more than two hours but hey, most newborns are waking every two hours for feeds anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't leave my little guy in it for ages but if we got in the car and he fell asleep I would leave him in it until he woke up, and if he woke up at the shops I would leave him in it til we got home. Typically no longer than a few hours.

I have the maxi cosi pebble (bought OS) and I love love love it. It lasts til bub is 13kg so my son was in the capsule til about 10 months. It was brilliant, and rear facing in the car for as long as possible is best (google some if the crash test dummy comparisons of forward CS rear facing - very scary). Plus it is very light and ergonomic so easy to carry.

While I hated my bugaboo I love my maxi cosi pebble!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Researching prams has taken up a lot of my time recently! What I have found good though is going to various baby shops, having a play with some, making a list of what I liked then reading reviews at home. I've been able to narrow down to a few I like and have a better idea what it is I actually want in a pram. I'm not a jogger, really only plan on taking pram to shops and visiting people.

This is my checklist;

4 wheels
    Reasonably light (less than 10kg)
    Easy to fold without taking apart
    Fits in boot with room to spare
    Wheel base fits through standard aisles
    5 point harness with good clips
    Reversible handle
    Lockable wheels for steering
    Handle tall enough for DH
    Lays flat
    Easy to recline without jolting bub
    Easy access to basket
    Large or expandable hood
    Prefer non-velcro peep hole
    Easy clean fabric

Mostly leaning towards Steelcraft & Valco brands at the moment. DH has set budget at $500 and I've managed to find some pretty good choices under that.

I was leaning towards getting a capsule for the first 6 months or so, but have since decided against it for a few reasons; it limited my choice of prams (even though lots of adapters available of you want), I found the capsules alone too big and heavy without even adding several more kgs for baby! Also not too worried about disturbing bubs sleep - I have taken my nieces out many times and they transferred fine from car to pram while sleeping as babies. It may even help them to learn how to self settle a bit better than being in a capsule?

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app