Closed Thread
Page 52 of 93 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thinking of you Ngaiz, and hoping all is ok. I will be having a growth scan in the next month or so due to my low PappA. I think the fundal height is a bit unreliable but mine was measuring spot on last appt so hoping that means everything is ok so far.

Arlais, was your glucose test the one hour screener? My ob is away and the fill in wroteme a slip to do the full 2 hour one but the info I have from my ob seems to say I just do the screener first. I'm booked to do it next Thurs but I think I will wait until Fri to see my doc and confirm exactly what he wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sis uses MCNs and loves them, but she doesn't start putting her bubs in them until things get a bit more "solid". I'm going disposables only because I don't want to deal with all the extra washing and prep requirements.

I read somewhere that newborns can go through around 90 nappies in one week :O

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby2010 View Post
    Thinking of you Ngaiz, and hoping all is ok. I will be having a growth scan in the next month or so due to my low PappA. I think the fundal height is a bit unreliable but mine was measuring spot on last appt so hoping that means everything is ok so far.

Arlais, was your glucose test the one hour screener? My ob is away and the fill in wroteme a slip to do the full 2 hour one but the info I have from my ob seems to say I just do the screener first. I'm booked to do it next Thurs but I think I will wait until Fri to see my doc and confirm exactly what he wants.
    My GTT was the 2 hour fasting variety. My Ob didn't bother sending me for the screening test first - apparently quite a few women will fail the short test, but do fine on the 2 hour? Also means you only have to go through it the once. I would have preferred to just do the one hour test though as it would have meant less jabs and not getting so cranky because I was hungry!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

Octoberbaby2010  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    'Veritas- that's exciting getting the nursery ready! I've got boxes of stuff out ready to sort and organise after this week away. Really looking forward to getting stuck into it before I get bigger and more uncomfortable!

We didn't get DS circumcised, or really consider it. It's actually quite difficult to find someone to do it these days as it's not common practice. I do know some people who have done it though. Very much each to their own I think.

I had a friend buy me a whole lot of MCNs for DS and I wish she had asked me as I was just happy using disposable. She did include some swimming nappies which were reusable though and I loved them. A lot of girls from my Mothers' Group used MCNs and loved them. I guess they just seemed a bit of work, washing and cleaning them and I decided against them. The environmentl factor of nappy landfill does bother methough. Newborns have ALOT of changes, sometimes immediately after you change them which also put me off MCNs. They definitely get better in that respect as they get a bit older.

I am feeling better today so not sure what the problem was. I definitely think I'm up for wife of the year with this camping stuff but DH has relatves from all over the world flying in so I think I need to suck it up as best I can. 3 nights camping, 4 nights at a sport and rec camp (back inside, fully catered) - wish me luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We must have been typing at the same time Arlais. Certainly 10 nappies a day is not out of the question! Definitely adds up! And yes, while they are newborn, they make quite a mess!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Octoberbaby2010 For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the circumcision question - if we were having a boy he would be circumcised. I agree with October though that it's very much an individual decision and most people will choose to "match" the dad. Before we found out we're having a girl I told DH it would be his choice because he's the one that has a penis. Both his boys are circumcised.

DH has a friend who needed to have a circumcision as an adult and apparently that was pretty awful to deal with. I don't believe people who say it is pain free, but I do agree that if it's going to happen, it is less traumatic the younger they are.

Someone may have other information, but apart from the obvious risk of infection (as with any form of surgery) I haven't heard anything about a boy/man having issues because of NOT having a foreskin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    rtkirk- it feels bizarre to be receiving and buying things, but definitely good! Crap about the insomnia, heartburn & constipation. I hope it magically goes away when we are holding our bubbas!

Annerley- the cruise sounds awesome, yay for free wifi! I didn't feel anything until 21+3, its fantastic that you're already getting flutters and didn't have to wait so long.

Amps- I'm so sorry you're back in hospital . Those extra costs are a real blow... hopefully you can offset those with savings in other areas. We aren't getting a capsule, putting bub straight into a convertible seat that is suitable for 0-4 yrs.

Arlais- you should actually add up all your OOP medical expenses. They can be submitted with your tax return and you can get further $$ back. My accountant has been nagging me for ages to do mine, I finally added it all up at the end of last year and yes it was depressing... will be interesting to see how worthwhile it was to tally it all up when I get this year's taxes done. Congrats on the great growth scan news and good luck with your GTT results!

ABH- the capsule hire is a great option. If I wanted a capsule I'd definitely do the same. Hippybottamus MCNs get really good reviews and are not ridiculously expensive, I've got my eye on them too. Beautiful cot you've picked and seems like a great deal.

October- it sounds like you may have overdone the physical activity, I've currently got lower belly pain after a 4km walk yesterday, its slowing easing off. Glad to hear you're all better today. I hope your hectic week with all the relatives isn't too tiring and that you have a great time camping.

Riss- oh I hate losing a big post! So annoying! Love your bump pic and hopefully feeling movement is not too far away for you. MCNs are very daunting at first! I spent some time reading the Cloth Nappy section of the forum, heaps of helpful threads there.

KJ- I feel exactly like you- that my body's been taken over and the changes are far more significant than I ever imagined. I love feeling movements and seeing my belly grow, but the rest I don't like at all. I'm definitely going to give MCNs a try from about 2-3 months (using disposables for the newborn stage). There is a cheap brand called My Little Ripple, $40 for a ten pack. I'm going to start with those to see if the concept is right for me, and if so, then I'll try out some of the other brands (like Hippybottamus as ABH mentioned). If I don't like them, $40 lost is no big deal.

Ainsley- yes it is great to take the whole day off for appointments, I have over 50 personal leave days and may as well use some. Though when its busy I do rush to and from appointments to fit in around work. The bassinet we got is the Boori Urbane. There are only 2 that passed safety testing by Choice- the Boori Urbane and Tasman Eco. They are both the type with wooden rectangular frames and full mesh sides. I was shocked to read that the regular bassinets (with the hoods and skirts) posed high risks of suffocation & toppling over. That cemented my decision to spend extra on the Boori, I got it online from babyzonedirect for $170 (which is only $70 dearer than the cheapest bassinet on the market). Yay for 17 weeks and awesome that you're feeling better! I didn't feel any movement until 21+3, was really starting to panic as its far later than the other ladies here.

Jay- Hope you're surviving the heatwave and staying comfortable. Enjoy the long-awaited hair appointment and the farewell dinner. DH & I wouldn't circumcise unless medically necessary. I've seen the outcome of a botched circ (my middle brother) and that was done at a time when it was a routine procedure. I couldn't take the chance of that happening to my little boy (if I have one), especially now that it is no longer routine in Aus and fewer surgeons actually do it. Its a very personal thing and there are many arguments for and against. If that's what you and DH decide you want, all the best with it and hope you find someone you trust to do it.

Ngaiz & Bedlover- hope the small size concerns are all put to rest and everything is confirmed as being OK.

Veritas- Your bump is looking great! The nursery not so crash hot haha. Look forward to seeing an 'after' pic . Hope the wardrobes turn out great and have fun getting organised.

Hi to everyone else

AFM- did my hospital booking yesterday and had the ante-natal interview with a midwife. Good to have that all sorted. On the weekend my SIL took me shopping to buy baby pressies. Living in QLD, her and my MIL won't be coming down for my baby shower, so they wanted to get a few things now while SIL is at our house for holidays. We got the carseat, some cot linen, pram toys, and a photo frame- I'm so stoked with it all! Its bizarre looking at the carseat and imagining a little person is going to be using it soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Back from my scan and bub is perfect. Measuring one day behind, placenta is still working well and fluid is good, I just have a small uterus. I really need to learn not to stress so much but I'm glad my Ob is thorough and felt it was worth while to check. I'm such as worrier.

My friends bub was going through up to 15 nappies a day as a newborn. I'll be doing the same as Simpson, starting off with some cheapies to see how we go first.

October I'd love to go camping right now, wanna swap?..

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (14-01-2014),KJ35  (14-01-2014),Octoberbaby2010  (14-01-2014),SimpsonDesert  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome news Ngaiz! So happy and relieved to hear all is well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies, well I'm out of hospital and back at home. Couldn't stay there for another minute. I kept some lunch down so that made my mind up. All the other patients in my ward come from nursing homes.......

I bought my mcns off an ebay store with good reviews. Still waiting but are in transit. My cousin's wife said she would use anything else, their little boy lives in them, no other clothes, just his nappies. I've had other friends say they liked them. You can buy "wet bags" that seal up to store the used ones in while you are out and about. I'm going to buy 2-3 of these. At home I intend to use 2 nappy buckets with lids. I think the biggest thing is to make sure you flush most of the solids before placing in the bucket. The only other strong comment anyone has said to the negative is DON'T use the velcro type, too sharp for baby skin.

We talked about would we circumcise if we have a boy and the outcome is yes. My dh is quite old-school about some things and this is one where I'm happy to go with his preference. I guess I'm lucky here where there are still docs willing to do this surgery, my ob is one, so are the two paediatricians that are used for any birth at the hospital I'm having our baby.

I will try to catch up on personals but am pretty wacked out right now