+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mouth Breathing Issue in One Year Old

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a 14 months old son who has been mouth breathing since he was only 6 months. We never paid much attention to this until now. Took him to the Pediatrician who said he might have large adenoids but did not order x-ray to check him because she said even if he did, there is nothing to be done at this age.

I'm very worried from reading all the info on the Internet about how bad this habit can be - sleep problems, behaviour problems and facial deformity etc. etc.

DS has not had any ear infections and sleeps and eats pretty good. The only thing is he never liked taking his bottle or drinking from sippy cup because he breathes through his mouth.

Has anyone had a mouth breather and what did you do to help correct your child's problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it, as I have been losing sleep over this for the past few weeks already.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Friendly bump

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recommend that you get a referral to an ENT and dicuss. My boy was 9 months old when he had his adenoids out. It made a huge difference to him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I second going to see an ENT. My daughter had hers out when she was not much older than your son (for different reasons). It made a massive difference to her health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglemum View Post
    I recommend that you get a referral to an ENT and dicuss. My boy was 9 months old when he had his adenoids out. It made a huge difference to him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks! We have an ENT appointment scheduled in January. Did it help to stop your son from breathing through his mouth? How was the surgery, was it painful for your boy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    I second going to see an ENT. My daughter had hers out when she was not much older than your son (for different reasons). It made a massive difference to her health.
    @Sunnybambino - thanks. Were the issues caused by the mouth breathing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She had very narrow Eustachian tubes and enlarged adenoids - so was born with very bad glue ear. So in her first year had grommets, but around the 18 month mark got sick repeatedly - horrible cycle of sick, antibiotics, sick etc. Nothing could clear properly and yes, she would have to breathe through her mouth because she was always stuffy (common for kids with enlarged adenoids). Removal (and more grommets) fixed the problem instantly. The operation itself was easy - maybe 15 mins under anaesthetic. Little bit hard to come out of anaesthetic but by that afternoon she was running around like normal.

Tonsil removal however (just a few months ago) was a very hard 2 week recovery

Fantastic that you're able to see an ENT next month. Try and stay away from Dr Google until then!