+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminary View Post
    WI lived in a property for 2 years and the lady who owned it, biggest tight *** out. I paid rent EVERY WEEK, yet she wouldn't fix nothing. The lease stated I was aloud to have pets, but the fence was a big mess with holes, palings missing etc. the neighbour told me he offered the LL to pay for half the fence I be replaced and she pay the other, but she wouldn't budge. Eventually I had to buy chicken wire and install it myself on the fence so my dog wouldn't get out. It was a nightmare. I had a water leak, she wouldn't fix it. I had a bodgy tap, which replaced that, probably cause it cost her $5 from bunnings. The carpets had old dog **** stains from the previous tenant, she wouldn't replace that, really the ex tenant should of. Finally got out of that nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's funny (or pathetic, maybe?) just how tight some LL's are. The last house I was in had mismatched old outdoor taps in the kitchen sink. I'm guessing he probably picked them up free somewhere.

He wouldn't even purchase washers for the taps (all of about 50c each), so they all leaked. The joke was on him though, as when vacating, I demanded a refund for all monies paid towards water and it had to be granted.

He was a wealthy property investor too, so it's not like he couldn't afford repairs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A relative of mine is a dodgy land lord.

Her house seriously needs to be condemned!! The toilet is outside & bathroom. Everything is old and she asks $400 a week rent (we are in adel).

She had a bad tenant once who didnt pay rent so she opened the windows and put cow poo in all the rooms

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    A relative of mine is a dodgy land lord.

Her house seriously needs to be condemned!! The toilet is outside & bathroom. Everything is old and she asks $400 a week rent (we are in adel).

She had a bad tenant once who didnt pay rent so she opened the windows and put cow poo in all the rooms

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Wow! That's insane!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex is living in a dodgy house ... but he's not complaining. It is a private rental (no agent) and both he and the landlord are responsible.

When he moved in, the hot water wasn't working but the landlord told him to organise a plumber and get them to send the bill to the landlord. My ex took a year to get around to it. The plumber fixed the problem but told him that the pipes were too old and really needed replacing - and the repair wouldn't last. It started having problems again after two weeks, and after three months, wouldn't work at all. Six years later, he still hasn't told his landlord that it isn't working because he doesn't want to trouble him.

There is fuse wire in the electricity box, not a safety switch. (I dont think that is legal for a rental.) He cannot use the front light or it burns out the fuse wire.

When the landlord supplied new smoke alarms, he simply handed them over with instructions to put them up. My ex took three months of me badgering him every week to finally do so.

There is mould showing through on some parts of the ceiling (especially at the front). The front eaves rotted and fell away during a big storm, but the landlord did replace those.

Also, the landlord hasn't put the rent up in the entire seven years my ex has been there. (The house two doors down is rented at nearly double what my ex is paying.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    There is fuse wire in the electricity box, not a safety switch. (I dont think that is legal for a rental.) He cannot use the front light or it burns out the fuse wire.
    Depends what state you're in. :thumbup:

As a property manager, I agree that there are a hell of a lot of dodgy landlords out there, but the law is on the tenant's side. If you think you're being screwed over (landlords must do repairs) contact a tenants advocacy service, they're free to use.
    In all my time I can easily say there are way more dodgy tenants compared to dodgy landlords. I've got my share of dodgy landlords, but the majority of landlords who drag their feet over repairs are young people trying to get ahead with an investment property, not realising that an investment means you need to spend money to make money. They fully intend to do the repair, but want to make sure they're getting the most out of their money. This doesn't make it Ok, but is understandable. I'm sure most of the people on BH wouldn't be here if they weren't a "researcher" at heart

Ok, after all that, one of my landlords had his mate do some plumbing work for him. He some how managed to reroute the pipes so the tenants were without water in the kitchen for several months.

Another landlord built a house in the backyard of one of his properties and it wasn't until we'd had a tenant living there for a few months that we discovered he didn't connect any of the waste water pipes to the waste water line in the street (except the toilet Thank God!) They just emptied onto the ground under the house - that was a nightmare! I have no idea how it passed Council inspection.

So many landlords expect tenants to just know how to do certain things, and then get angry when we explain that we have to get a tradie out because no, the tenant doesn't know how to prime a pump, or switch between bore water and tank water.

I have one landlord who right in the middle of the drought questioned why the tenants had let the property get so dry. They were on a farm so while water restrictions didn't apply, it was natural to try and keep your tanks full instead of watering your garden. Especially because Bush fire season was approaching. When I explained this to her she dismissed it and said that if the gardens and lawns were green they wouldn't need to worry about Bush fires...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Disbride View Post
    As a property manager, I agree that there are a hell of a lot of dodgy landlords out there, but the law is on the tenant's side. If you think you're being screwed over (landlords must do repairs) contact a tenants advocacy service, they're free to use.
    I have to disagree. On paper tenants have rights, the reality though is that LL's always have the last say. You want something repaired and the LL refuses, there is this lengthy process of notice of remedy breach, then mediation, then the tribunal. And even if you win at the tribunal, I know so many people that get a 60 day notice to vacate, get their rent put right up, or a refusal by the LL to have their lease renewed soon after they lose at the tribunal.

Then there is the bad reference aspect. Basically they can say whatever they want about you, however malicious and untrue it is, and other RE's believe them. I've personally been through this so I know. If like me, you upset a RE by refusing to let them put it over you, they tell the next RE you are applying to that you are a bad tenant.

When we ask RE to get the owner to fix stuff they just say sorry, he refuses. But what's the point of making a fuss? You just get booted out, have your rent hiked/bad reference/ the lease not renewed. After 20 years renting, we've resigned ourselves to the fact LL's are a law unto themselves and RE support that fully (not all, but most). It's just easier to fix and pay for everything ourselves

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (05-12-2013),Pusheen The Cat  (05-12-2013),Stiflers Mom  (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Seriously? Did you go off your nut?
    No way. The rent was so cheap and I was a single 17 year old. If I got kicked out I would have been screwed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow so many dodgy LLs but I guess there are equally as many dodgy tenants. We rented our house out for a little while when we first bought it, we inherited the tennant and he was amazing. He wanted an electric garage opener so paid for it himself - I love him for that coz my car lives in the garage :-D he also painted the lounge room and bedroom and kept the gardens looking good. We didn't increase his rent because he was awesome, I guess it's all give and take :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Eek some nasty stories we have always had really nice LL's, & I hope our tenants would say the same about us! We fix things etc. We do go out of our way to be nice to our LL's though, I recently emailed them (via the REA) some photos of some building work they'd had done recently- think they'll be more than happy to keep us as tenants