+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a really dodgy agent.

I always kept my house clean, rent paid...

I received a letter saying I was getting kicked out because I hadn't paid rent. After battles with the real estate and scraping for $700 odd a few weeks after I paid I I got another letter saying the same thing. I spoke to someone else who said my rent was put up months ago and I hadn't been paying the extra that was where the $700 came from. I gave them more money then a few weeks later I get a call saying it was a mistake and got the money back..

He would turn up for inspections unannounced, when my then partner refused to let him in, he threatened him saying he wasn't even meant to be there because he wasn't on the lease.

Then the house was sold and I had to move. I've never had a problem getting rentals before, this time it got to the point I was homeless for 6 months and living in motels with my ASD daughter my friend ended up getting his real estate agent friend to ring up asking fur a reference and my old agent was telling them not to rent to me, I was dirty and never paid rent!! I lived in a duplex my neighbors were dirty and left rubbish but my side was completely clean!

I ended up moving 3 hours away as a last resort to get a house, told them I was moving out of a mates house do didn't use my last real estate and got the first house I applied for.
    Last edited by ~BEXTER~; 04-12-2013 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    I

But some of these stories have me thinking why the hell didn't you inspect the property before agreeing to hand over thousands of dollars in rent?
    Most of the time a property is still tenanted when you look at it so you don't know half the issues until you move in.

Financial constraints and risk of homelessness drives some people to snap up whatever property they can.

Some things don't break/stop working until you're already on a lease and it's then that you find out the owner is a tightarse and won't fix anything.

There's plenty of reasons really.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-12-2013),delirium  (04-12-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (04-12-2013),mummytomy2boysxxx  (05-12-2013),Pusheen The Cat  (05-12-2013),Stiflers Mom  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Oh dear I could write a novel in this thread

The owners that refused to do the most basic of repairs to their property for years (we were told by another RE who come to value it for possible sale that the owners were mum and dad investors who were broke).

Then the RE had the audacity when we moved out to try and pin all this lack of repairs on us as 'damage'. I also had to do a 400km round trip to wipe of a finger print from a mirror and a laundry tap or they were going "to get professional cleaners in". Yeah, I'm going to allow you to keep my bond for them to wipe 2 finger prints off

Then when we refused to be held accountable for the lack of repairs, they badmouthed us to other RE's we applied with saying we were bad tenants.

Then there was the property we moved into that's carpets were so putrid they were black (due to said bad reference we couldn't be choosy). We ended up steam cleaning them THREE TIMES ourselves bc supposedly the last tenant did a runner and was so behind in the rent it ate into the bond (ummm so??? clean the blinking carpets???)

The same RE kept sending me letters we were behind in the rent bc I always direct debit my rent.... and she was getting the statements 2 weeks later. We are 2 weeks in advance you idiot check the date of the deposit

Then the current LL who we told for 2 years that the air con was ready to pack it in and DH had to keep getting on the roof to grease the bearings or it literally sounded like a plane taking off! when it did pack it in we had to brave 46 degree heat for almost 3 weeks until he 'decided' (after about 30 phone calls to RE demanding it be fixed) to put in a new one. Then half the ceiling in the hallway collapsed bc the last air con had holes the size of cricket balls in it and water got in and damaged the ceiling. We fixed it ourselves

Then the TV arial that is an existing fixture and according to the TA he had to fix.... he refused so we had to fork out almost $400 all up to put up a new one with an amplifier (which we will take with us).

Then the fences which the owner has been saying for FIVE YEARS he's going to replace and which DH has to keep nailing up bc the next door neighbours have vicious dogs.

Then the roof which was leaking and caused water damage.... which DH fixed bc the owner refused to.

Oh yes and I forgot, then there was our first ever RE that never actually lodged our bond with the RTA and kept it. They also lied and said we were two weeks behind in rent when we weren't and when the property was passed over to another RE they noticed magically we were four weeks in advance!

There is more but I had better take a breath lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    But some of these stories have me thinking why the hell didn't you inspect the property before agreeing to hand over thousands of dollars in rent?
    Sometimes people are desperate. Often the owner will do a patch job just enough to make it look presentable so someone will sign a lease then all the problems come to light afterwards.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Reading all these I'm realising what a great landlords me and DH are!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Obviously not a personal attack but as an example - why did you sign a lease on the property?
    We were desperate at the time. We trialled living in a different area for a little while and we felt really unsafe, so at the time we just snapped that house up so we could urgently move! Also, the rental market was extremely competitive at the time.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a nightmare or anything, it just surprises me that the landlord hadn't updated anything since it was originally built several decades ago.

We now pay an extra $80 p/w to live in an older house. BUT, it has landscaped gardens, very modern kitchen and bathroom, 2 x airconditioners. Not to mention it's in a great suburb too.

I'm happy to part with the extra money for a well maintained property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's kind of hard to "test out" a ceiling fan, ducted heating, dishwasher (which should have all been in working order) when the power is off when you go to an open house inspection. Plus it was advertised on the RE ad on their website that all was working listed above, so you assume that it would be, also the condition report stated they all worked, yet none did. As other posters have said, lying and dodgy patch up jobs just to get to get a place leased out happens. A lot of issues doesnt arise until the lease is already signed and your stuck with it for the 12 months. But with that said I've only had one dodgy Land lord, the rest have been great. But I did have 2 ****ty PM's and 2 great ones, so it's just luck of the draw with what your given after you sign a lease unfortunately. Beggars can't be choosers in the rental market unfortunately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our last house, I accidentally left a burn mark on the vanity with by straightener. The RE was told about it the same day. They said not to worry, owner not concerned etc. it was just a brown mark, not actual bubbling or crack so I figured, fair enough.
    On moving out, they wanted to take $400 from the bond to replace the entire vanity unit. Ummm, no. It was a tiny scorch that in no way affected the functionality. The same PM also wanted a further $200 as she said a tile in the front yard was chipped. I told her it hadn't been when we left. She insisted we had done it. I pointed out that it was outside the property and a dodgy neighbourhood- anyone could have done it. She did a final inspection without inviting us to be there and had a huge list of "damages", all of which I'd noted on out initial inspection report on moving in. So I claimed my bond back less $50 for the scorch mark as compensation to the owner. The bond board accepted it but the PM emailed me for three months trying to force me to buy a new vanity unit and repair damage to a tile that I hadn't caused or even seen!

My current house... Kitchen cupboard shelves, outdoor awnings, bathroom drawers- all have parts held together with hypafix tape (used to hold would dressings in place), wall paper is falling off in DSS's room- we keep asking for it to be stripped but no luck. The power trips off if we use the dryer and the tv at the same time The carpet is rotted in the sun room as it turns out there are no seals around the window
    Our PM is lovely but kind of forgetful. Our LL is a tightar$e. The place was not cleaned when we moved in, there was an old washing machine left here in the laundry and a huge old dresser that we didn't want. On calling, the PM said we could have them. WTF! Why would I want someone else's old washing machine? I have my own stuff! So we had to get rid of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    WI lived in a property for 2 years and the lady who owned it, biggest tight *** out. I paid rent EVERY WEEK, yet she wouldn't fix nothing. The lease stated I was aloud to have pets, but the fence was a big mess with holes, palings missing etc. the neighbour told me he offered the LL to pay for half the fence I be replaced and she pay the other, but she wouldn't budge. Eventually I had to buy chicken wire and install it myself on the fence so my dog wouldn't get out. It was a nightmare. I had a water leak, she wouldn't fix it. I had a bodgy tap, which replaced that, probably cause it cost her $5 from bunnings. The carpets had old dog **** stains from the previous tenant, she wouldn't replace that, really the ex tenant should of. Finally got out of that nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our back garage door rotted through September 2012 to the point where it couldn't be closed (hubby put a rock up against it to keep it from swinging open). Told LL straight away and were informed it would be fixed. We then called several times over the next year (yes I said year) to be told he was 'researching' which door to get. It was a normal sized, wooden door that needed replacing. Nothing fancy. It was finally replaced in October 2013 by another standard wooden door... Then he put up the rent by $10 a week (apparently wanted $20 but agency talked him down). For $10 a week a could've researched the door for him!