+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've had a fair few dodgy landlords over the years.

One house came within minutes of catching on fire due to dodgy wiring.

One house had electical wires taped together with sticky tape. There were holes in the walls, covered by tape and painted over. At the end of the lease the owner made up about 100 pages of 'evidence' of all this apparent damage we'd done to the property. It included things like a picture of a new toilet. The judge (or whatever they are called) at tribunal saw straight through it all and he did not get the bond thankfully.

One house had a glass stove top that shattered under heat one night. I went into labour the next morning, RE was closed over the weekend, reported it on the monday and got breached for not reporting it straight away. Apparently being in labour/having a baby wasn't a valid excuse to not report it asap.

Last house was mould infested, lacked any security, I wasn't supplied keys for the back door or both screen doors, had no working smoke alarms, had heaps of leaking taps, so much rubbish left at the property. The PM even told me after I'd signed the lease the owner would never spend a cent on repairs.

Current property has issues as well and owners who don't like to spend money. None of the exhaust fans work and there are no windows in most rooms. There is issues with the pipes. Loose carpet on the stairs -I've already tripped on it and broken my hand. Owners have breached access-clearly no respect for their tenants privacy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The first place I rented was a complete dump, but it was the only place that would accept 3 young adults with no rental history.

When we first moved in, within a week we smelled a gas leak, plumbers had to come in and change all the piping for the stove etc. Then the stove top kinda blew up in my face due to the stove top leaking gas due to damage, and had to be replaced.

The living room had 8 power points in there, which only 2 of them worked. Instead of fixing them they just kept adding more, so half of them were burnt, melted, hanging out by their wires or would short circuit the house if you tried to use it. Whenever we used the washing machine and the kettle or microwave at the same time it'd trip the safety switch lol. One electrician that was working on a unit behind us looked at it and said the whiole house had to be rewired and it was so unsafe.

The ducted heating didnt work, the dishwasher didnt work, the ceiling fan didnt work. We wern't allowed to use the fireplace but it wasn't cealed in so wind came into our house, which was chilling in winter. The locks on the front door didnt work so you could kick the door in to get inside lol.

When I was 8 months pregnant the tiles in the shower all fell on me due to mould that grew under neath. The landlords also decided to paint over mould before we moved in, which seeped through straight away, by the time our 12 months lease was up the ceiling was black!

One of the lights in the bedrooms were hanging out by the electrical chord out of the ceiling so we told the RE asking the landlord to get it fixed, they came round without a ladder while I was out, I came home to see them using my sons baby furniture to stand on so they could reach the light!, better yet they masking taped the light back into the socket, which fell out hours later.

To top it all off, a day after we signed the lease the LL's decided to build two units in the backyard, so we had our garage bulldozed, and tradies coming and going past our house and blocking in our cars and using our electricity and water for the first 6 months. The second 6 months of the lease the LL's put the house up for sale, and we had open inspections every saturday until we moved.

That was just one house, what an experience that was! Gotta love renting lol! Every other place I've rented the LL's have bee lovely, last one a cheap *** by putting up the rent and not putting in aircon, but whatever not my issue now.
    Last edited by Pusheen The Cat; 04-12-2013 at 09:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My friend had a really dodgy landlord who would regularly spy on them (the next door neighbour reported to them that they saw the LL sneaking around the property on a few occasions).

He knocked on their front door unannounced a couple of times and expected to be let in (he'd come up with an excuse to warrant coming in).

One day he let himself into the front door of the property because he wanted to have a look at the new oven that was recently installed (completely unannounced). My friend was home at the time but upstairs and she didn't hear anyone knocking. Unbelievable!

Her property manager was a real bish and didn't really do anything about it, so they moved heaven and earth to get a home loan and now they're not renting anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I first moved out of home I lived with 2 other ladies in a rental. The house was only 5 years old so we thought it would be perfect. Turns out the whole estate was built on the cheap and we had no end of issues. Our main problem was the realty managing the property were useless. There were a number of incidences but it all came to a head after we got robbed. We had a smashed window which took 6 weeks to be replaced. We had no security screens so we felt quite vulnerable. One of our mates boarded it up for us. We also asked the landlord to install security screens or window locks. We offered to pay half. He wouldn't do it. He missed a golden opportunity!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I once had a stove that needed replacing ..,the new one duly arrived , wrapped in plastic...it sat for 6 weeks in my kitchen....

I then texted the real estate that if the owner wanted his rent to install my stove within 24 hours,

The areseholes actually had the gall to be annoyed at me!

A workmen was there the next morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone reading this will know who I am but I lived in a dodgy little flat for years. The owner was the biggest tight@rse ever. He used to bring his family around on Saturdays to picnic in the backyard and his kids would come in the house regularly. I would wakeup hungover on a Saturday and a little kid would be in the living room.

He once let himself in to my neighbour's (duplex, he owned her flat too) and walked into the bathroom while her boyfriend was in the shower.

My oven door wouldn't shut so he propped a broom handle against it for about 4 months. The tiles fell off the shower so he covered the wall with a tarp for nearly a year, the wiring was incredibly dodgy, there was mould everywhere, but the rent was cheap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Anyone reading this will know who I am but I lived in a dodgy little flat for years. The owner was the biggest tight@rse ever. He used to bring his family around on Saturdays to picnic in the backyard and his kids would come in the house regularly. I would wakeup hungover on a Saturday and a little kid would be in the living
    He once let himself in to my neighbour's (duplex, he owned her flat too) and walked into the bathroom while her boyfriend was in the shower.

My oven door wouldn't shut so he propped a broom handle against it for about 4 months. The tiles fell off the shower so he covered the wall with a tarp for nearly a year, the wiring was incredibly dodgy, there was mould everywhere, but the rent was cheap!
    Seriously? Did you go off your nut?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had dodgy PM's in the past - not doing final inspections, not even getting the rent till the end of the lease out of the bond, not having keys to the property so I'd have to replace all of the locks because "they never had a set" - um, didn't you give some to the tenants when they moved in or told them to climb through the window?

But some of these stories have me thinking why the hell didn't you inspect the property before agreeing to hand over thousands of dollars in rent?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    But some of these stories have me thinking why the hell didn't you inspect the property before agreeing to hand over thousands of dollars in rent?
    I'm gonna go with there was either lots of false promises made when signing the lease, or people are desperate and need something cheap quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    The house was quite old and nothing at all had been renovated, including a shower screen that looked totally vile. It had no air conditioning - he 'didn't believe in air conditioning' apparently. Wiring in the house was dodgy as hell, hideous floral curtains, backyard wasn't fully fenced...I could go on!
    Obviously not a personal attack but as an example - why did you sign a lease on the property?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (05-12-2013)