+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dodgy landlord stories!

Anyone have a really dodgy landlord or real estate? We moved into a new rental a few months ago, at the inspection there was vertical blinds. Moved in and each individual blind had been taken down and just the railings for them left. Thought that was pretty bad but have just realized one of our power points is stuck on with blu tack!ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1386105881.658770.jpg

So what's your dodgy experiences??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been renting for quite a few years, but funnily enough I don't have too many dodgy stories.

Our last landlord was a total cheapskate though. The house was quite old and nothing at all had been renovated, including a shower screen that looked totally vile. It had no air conditioning - he 'didn't believe in air conditioning' apparently. Wiring in the house was dodgy as hell, hideous floral curtains, backyard wasn't fully fenced...I could go on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My nieces grandfather that lived with her all her life, had a fall and was dying so she went to his bedside. While she was away the real estate wanted to a open house (the house is up for sale) with no notice so they just went in and moved her stuff around, threw stuff out. They knew she was away and only called her after the event. They told her if she complained she wouldn't give her a good reference for the next real estate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow Just*Ace have you complained? No blinds means you are paying for something that was there when you signed up but not when you moved in - check your conditions report because if they are on there you will be liable for ten when you leave. And that PowerPoint is dangerous - exposed wires.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My story. This was 14 years ago. I was 9 mths pregnant and fell through the floorboards. Only the carpet caught me. When there handyman went to fix it he found that the were places that the floor was been held up by stick propping them up. The walls had holes that had masking tape over them and then painted. The bathroom drawers were also held together by masking tape. The real estate broke their contract with owners and left us stuck in a 12 mth lease. It took 8 weeks to break the lease using the breach system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We weren't the tenants but we purchased an investment property from a private landlord and inherited the tenants. The building and pest report showed over half the house was internally wired with extentions cords!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    No dodgy landlords here, though I have had dodgy tenants!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (04-12-2013),wigglemum  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a laundry for the entire 9months I lived in a house because they would finish it. Ended up breaching them and getting out of our lease. They have us a bad reference but the new pm saw through their cr@p.
    In the same house, the safety switch used to trip often. We lived upstairs and there was a little granny flat downstairs and then the garage was locked off for the owners use (which they used to come around anytime they wanted!) and the safety switch was in the locked garage. We would always call the real estate and they would have to send the owners around who were always so rude.
    Then the owners came around and decided to enter up onto the back verandah even though they weren't allowed. They abused the hell out of me for nothing and made me cry and it was my birthday too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our worst was we inspected the place, it was old but fine. Signed lease, got keys, went to check the place over, there was a great big hole in the roof of the kitchen and insulation all over the kitchen.
    Tried using the stove on our first night there, only one element worked out of the whole stove/oven/grill. Reported it, landlord took two weeks to replace it.
    Then the gas heater developed a leak. They got the heater sealed off from the gas. No replacement, in the middle of winter. When we questioned it, they sent around a 5 fin column heater to heat out whole 3bedroom house.
    We got out of our lease 3 months early by breaching them continuously for 2 months.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We lived in a dodgy house in Oxford briefly that had been "done up" to lease to students once the new academic year started. It theoretically had a bathroom downstairs, and a toilet and shower upstairs. The shower upstairs was new - it had been squeezed into a cupboard space so there was only 2 inches of space between the shower door and the door to the room. Absolutely nowhere to leave a towel except to have the hall door open. Plus the shower door was too big for the space so it jutted into the shower cubicle, leaving even less room.
    The toilet downstairs moved if anyone bigger than an 8 year old sat on it. I'd hate to be living there in a shared accommodation arrangement.
    The back fence kept falling down and they stopped bothering to fix it after the third report in 2 weeks. So glad we were only there 3 months.