+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3 mo sleep. Would you try to 'fix' it or ride it out?

So DD is 15 weeks old. Since she was 9 weeks and we returned from a month long trip overseas she has not been sleeping as well. Before she was a fairly text book newborn waking every 3 hrs or so for a feed. That was fine. But currently she is waking up every hour to be BF back to sleep. She isn't usually hungry, its comfort I think. She won't take a dummy or a bottle. Its been bad for weeks now but seems worse currently, every hour is crazy!

I have been offered a referral to the local family centre/sleep school by the CHN and am unsure what to do. Part of me thinks she's still a young baby so will grow out of it, just give her what she needs. But the other part is sick of waking up so often! I have a 3yo to look after too.

I am not willing to do anything harsh to fix it. Gentle approaches only. And not sure what sleep school will do as heard mixed reviews from other who've been there. Most disliked it.

Would you just ride it out, given her age, or try to 'fix' her sleeping? And how?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally, I would ride it out, she's still only young.

But in saying that, I don't have two children, so I guess you need to do what's best for your family.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would ride it out. sounds like she has had a few changes in her short life, and is probably just working it all out.

Can you catch up on sleep when your partner is not working, or get someone else to watch the toddler so you can sneak in a nap during the day with baby?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump! Would love some more opinions please

And Bubbles, yes i do get the occasional sleep in at the weekend for an hour or so but not always if she starts screaming for me and he can't settle her! No family here, all in UK so its hard to catch a break!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would ride it out a little longer. I utilised a sleep school for my child when he was 4months old. He wouldn't sleep any longer then 10 mins during the day.
    The only advice they could offer was to introduce a feed play sleep routine, it never worked.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lisaandshaun For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried feeding while lying down in bed and then letting her drift off to sleep next to you? We had some rough periods too and a little bit of co-sleeping helped my son sleep a little longerost days. I would bring him into our bed at his 4am feed (or there abouts) and we would drift off together and wake around 7ish. Him sleeping next to me meant I could settle him during the very early stirring, and his sleep cycle naturally fell in line with mine.
    It hasn't always worked for us and even now sometimes he doesn't want a bar of it but worth a try.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dub For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like heading for the 4 month sleep regression on top of an unsettled period. I would ride it out and as a PP suggested, consider even part time cosleeping. Around this time there is often a growth spurt and a wonder week. I found it helpful to read up on these things so that even if I couldn't change things, I could understand what DD was going through and why her patterns were constantly changing. I don't personally think a sleep school can do much in this period as they can't stop or change a developmental leap or a growth spurt iykwim. I know it's tough, hang in there!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Yeah I have been part time co sleeping for quite a while now! But doesn't always make much difference and she will be very unsettled from around 5am onwards, moving and wriggling loads, so when she's next to me I get kicked constantly!! It's easier to feed her back to sleep laying down. Done this loads. But don't find co sleeping too comfy either due to the way my arm has to curl around her. So the last few days have been sitting up to feed much more than before and then putting her back down in her bed next to me. She just wants comfort sucks really, every 1-2 hours!

I knew about the 12 week wonder week, which I think started early for her as she was almost two weeks overdue at birth and it goes from due date I think. And heard of four month sleep regression. But didn't think this could be it early before. She has started rolling over this week so this could have contributed to an exceptionally bad week. But it's not like it was good anyway! Keep thinking 'maybe next week will be better' but its been 7 weeks and its not!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If bub is waking every hour I would do something about it now. Yeah 3 months is young but every hour isn't normal and it's not healthy for mum or bub. There are plenty of things you can look into without going harsh:
    - tickle bubs feet during a feed to make sure she stays awake. (Don't let bub fall asleep on the boob if bub uses you as a sleep aid then yeah bub is likely goit to have sleep problems).
    - feed both boobs each feed if needed. If you have to have a nappy change half way to keep hub away then do it (fuller babies sleep longer)
    - blockout blinds may help with the 5am wriggles
    - is your room temperature and babies bedding constant overnight? I found inconsistency to be the biggest cause of early morning wriggles. A thermostat controlled heater and dressing bub in a gro-bag according to their guidelines helped.
    - treat every waking before 7 as a night waking (minimal lights, no TV, no talking).

Apart from that I wouldn't do anything harsher at 3 months.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd ride it out. Fighting it cane make it so much worse for us when it doesn't got how we want it to. 3 months is very young and her sleep will change so much in the coming months and year. A sleep regression at 4 months is possible so any hard work you put in could be pointless anyway.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (07-12-2013)