DH and I are looking to TTC next year and as such I've finally allowed myself to think about pregnancy and birth again - 2.5 years after a traumatic labor/birth experience. (I know I have a healthy son and thats all that really matters, but I am still somewhat haunted by my 24hr+ labor/failed water birth attempt that ended in an emergency c).
We've since relocated from Melbourne to Sunshine Coast Qld and will be going private this time - so I have lots of q's.
Sorry about all the q's - I just want to get the facts before I allow myself to get excited at the prospect of a #2. I would absolutely love to have a successful VBAC - but am all too aware that simply wanting one is not going to guarantee it - but have to try!
- Does anyone have a recommendation for a pro-VBAC Obs on the sunshine coast?
- Monitoring: I understand there needs to be constant monitoring for VBACs - what does this mean exactly? Do I need to be strapped to a bed with monitor straps all over me? (Seem to remember my last birth going downhill when I was strapped to a bed with what looked like a giant seat-belt - arrgghh!)
- Have seen a bit about wireless monitoring, what is this and can this be used with water birth?
- What else can I do to prepare myself mentally? I did a calmbirth course before the last birth but maybe I need some sort of counselling as I clearly still have some suppressed issues as the result of my experience?
- Are 2nd labors shorter even if you failed to have a VB the first time? Or is it likely to be long like the first?