+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    I have a fussy eater who would rather take nothing to school as I won't allow him to take too much junk.

God only knows what his teacher thinks:/
    Just talk to him/her.

I've got kids who don't have lunch, then there's kids who throw their lunch away, then I have to ring the parents to tell them their child is throwing away their sandwich!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know?My kids are going through the stage of "I am not hungry,I don't want breakfast"I try to get them to eat ,but if that don't its fine,I always pack more lunch.Im sorry but parents who neglect their kids by not feeding them,its not on AT ALL!!! Even feeding them 2 min noodles is better than nothing.I don't get this "uneducated" excuse either.In this day and age how easy is it to google some meal ideas,or go to library and get out some books for meal ideas?!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Poverty no, there is many additional ways to get food.

our school does breakfast club as well, ds doesn't want to wet some mornings as that's the 'cool thing'.

The he sad part is when the parents just don't want to spend the money on have kids, my mums a teacher and I have heard some shocking stories so sad, at her school they cafeteria wiuld do basic sandwhiches and a piece of fruit for kids who had no lunch, (had to go up with a teacher etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummytomy2boys View Post
    If you receive govt benefits no, it should be reportable if a child comes all the time with no food.

I'm a single mum, rent, electricity, gas hot water and food come First.
    Where I work, there's much bigger issues than neglect. It's hardly a blip on the radar.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you receive govt benefits no, it should be reportable if a child comes all the time with no food.

I'm a single mum, rent, electricity, gas hot water and food come First.
    Lol, once again only poor people need to be reported if their kids are going without. Kids coming to school with no food is *often* but not *always* because their parents aren't doing all they can for their children. I'm sure there are loads of parents who get no benefits who neglect their kids, do they get a free pass because they aren't wasting tax payers money?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (03-12-2013),wilding  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's horrible isn't it. I couldn't imagine not sending food for my children I even feel bad when the cupboard is a bit bare and their lunches aren't up to their usual standard (no cucumber, not much fruit choice etc) A friend on mine grew up with a junkie mother who didn't care about feeding her the only food she ate was the sandwich that the teacher used to give her each day at school other then that she relied on either someone at a shop feeling bad for her or when she managed to steal some money before her mum spent it and she could buy something herself at the shop. Very very sad situation but unfortunately it's not that uncommon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a single mum, rent, electricity, gas hot water and food come First!
    But in which order? Rent before food? Food before rent?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just talk to him/her.

I've got kids who don't have lunch, then there's kids who throw their lunch away, then I have to ring the parents to tell them their child is throwing away their sandwich!
    I think I've mentioned it before. But I find it highly embarrassing & frustrating. He takes dry cereal, snack pack of chips and an LCM bar plus a popper:/

He's so naughty!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately there is a lot of this in our area. I donate bread 3 times per week for the Probus Club to make sandwiches. There is also a breakfast club. There are a lot of refugees in our area, and the assistance they receive is pitiful (89% of new start, about $200 per week. You can't even rent in this area for that) Also people who are not citizens but have Australian children (usually separated from terrible relationships to Australians) but can't leave the country and can't claim benefits, there are so many people that fall through the cracks :-( I say feed every school age child healthy, nutritious food daily as part of their schooling.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (03-12-2013),Blueberry Crumble  (03-12-2013),FearlessLeader  (03-12-2013),LoveLivesHere  (03-12-2013),Stiflers Mom  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think generally, there is more at play than poverty alone in most cases. I agree OP, a 99c loaf of bread or tin of beans could be bought with shrapnel found on the sidewalk, and I guess it would be better than nothing.

There are heaps of food banks too, I did a couple of fill-in volunteer shifts at one. This particular one (and many others are similar I believe) has a no questions asked policy about your state of "poverty". Many regular users are standard, middle class families who are overcome with debt due to poor financial decisions or illness. Others are mentally ill or struggle with addiction. They partner with oz harvest, and give away or sell at hugely discounted prices- pasta is 10c/kg bag, pasta sauce 20c/jar etc.

I think there is help if you know how to access it, or think it is important enough to access. Some people do not or cannot get their priorities in order.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app