+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not during my pregnancy but for the birth of ds2.

She was amazing. Completely on the ball, full of enthusiasm, encouraging.

I had complications once ds2 arrived and she stayed extremely calm. Although others had to become involved she stayed and held my hand until I had to go into theatre.

If I was to have another baby I would definitely welcome having a student midwife with me.

Good luck to the students in this thread

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    For the birth yes. She was awesome. Delivered ds and announced we had a baby boy. She came back after her shift had finished to see how we were going. We really great having someone to chat to the whole time and she explained everything too. Next time I will organise to have a student follow the pregnancy too

★me & he = ds 17/9/13★

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one throughout my pregnancy & she was just great. Came to all but 2 appointments, explained everything to me & answered all my questions, and was always available via phone or email.
    Unfortunately she missed the birth as it was 2am when I had to call & tell her it was go time, and things moved very quickly after that. But as soon as visiting hours started, she was there to meet DD.

I would always recommend getting one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssicaday View Post
    No question is a stupid question, but I can help answer this one for you as I'm a student midwife myself. There is still a benefit, actually, more than one benefit, for a student if the woman is having an elective c-section. Here's a few

1. Midwives are still present in c-section births so it's great to observe
    2. For my course (not sure if anyone else has these requirements) I have to 'follow' 20 women- no matter their choice of birthing method or how things end up going on the day of birth, i.e emerg c-section
    3. As midwives also work postnatally, it's awesome to see the difference between vaginal and c-section recovery, symptoms etc
    4. It's also good to walk through the pre-op preparation with the woman (whether it be the days before, or the day of the birth) as midwives are often responsible for this

For the woman, I would say that the benefits of having a student there would be the same as a vaginal birth- support, being able to debrief and talk about things, able to answer questions about why things are happening (however, this differs on students experience and knowledge base), etc etc.

I hope that answers your question! And I am so happy to see so many women with great stories about their student midwife experiences!
    Fantastic, thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Tippytoes looks like @JessicaDay has beautifully answered your questions also as a requirement of my course we need to "receive at csection" a certain amount of babies so there is that added benefit to students as well

Best wishes in your search for student midwives to follow your journeys x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My student is wonderful- I engaged her to give us extra support and continuity. Very passionate and supportive and helpful with random questions. I'm considering whether to invite her to the birth; the hospital midwives are fantastic but being public, it's not 1:1 care, more like 1:2 so I'm glad to have the extra support.