+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a third year student who was fantastic throughout my whole pregnancy, especially asking questions at appointments that I either hadn't thought of or wasn't confident to ask. During the labour she was exceptional - calm and supportive, and fantastic at coaching me to push. I honestly don't think I could have managed the way I did without her, and felt more comfortable with her than my actual midwife who unfortunately had to keep running around fixing a faulty drip. She even stood in the shower holding the nozzle on my back while DH had lunch (I couldn't tolerate the smell of food). I will definitely get another student next time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had one with DS1,she had 5 kids herself,where it was my first so I had no hesitation in letting her step in!! Everyone has to start somewhere,I don't know why anyone wouldn't be happy to have one assisting?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a third year student midwife, all this love for student midwives makes me so happy!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ElizaDoLittle this maybe a stupid question but is there any benefit for student and patient if patient is having an elective c-section?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one with my third who also happened to be a good friend of mine. Double bonus. It was fantastic! I was in labour for about 5 hours at the hospital and had a few different midwives come in and out due to shift changes but my wonderful friend/midwife was there with me coaching me gently the whole time which was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually I just looked it up and it looks to be for "normal pregnancy and birth".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a student midwife help deliver DS4, she was a little nervous to begin with but wonderful =) Jacob was her first delivery!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, she is amazing, always there for me to chat to, and explain things that I think of after appointments!

Highly recommend people looking up their local uni to see if any midwives are advertising.

Sometimes they advertise on gumtree too.

Loved having in her around!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippytoes View Post
    @ElizaDoLittle this maybe a stupid question but is there any benefit for student and patient if patient is having an elective c-section?
    No question is a stupid question, but I can help answer this one for you as I'm a student midwife myself. There is still a benefit, actually, more than one benefit, for a student if the woman is having an elective c-section. Here's a few

1. Midwives are still present in c-section births so it's great to observe
    2. For my course (not sure if anyone else has these requirements) I have to 'follow' 20 women- no matter their choice of birthing method or how things end up going on the day of birth, i.e emerg c-section
    3. As midwives also work postnatally, it's awesome to see the difference between vaginal and c-section recovery, symptoms etc
    4. It's also good to walk through the pre-op preparation with the woman (whether it be the days before, or the day of the birth) as midwives are often responsible for this

For the woman, I would say that the benefits of having a student there would be the same as a vaginal birth- support, being able to debrief and talk about things, able to answer questions about why things are happening (however, this differs on students experience and knowledge base), etc etc.

I hope that answers your question! And I am so happy to see so many women with great stories about their student midwife experiences!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jessabelle81 For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love how everyone has had positive experiences. It is a huge ask for the students to follow women through their pregnancy/birth journey and I love how supportive of it you all are. I have had women feedback to me that they love the continuity of care they get with having a student. Not only do you get the chance to get to know them beforehand, but you've then got someone familiar there during the birth as well. A friend of mine was the student for a woman going through a group practice and somehow none of the midwives from that group were available when she went into labour (holidays/day off/other labouring women) so a midwife from another group practice came in. For the woman, my friend was her only constant and when things went pear shaped, she relied on my friend as her main support as she trusted her implicitly. It can be such a great relationship and experience between woman and student midwife