+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Redundancy - how is it calculated?

Anyone familiar with how redundancy works? How is it calculated?

I'm getting conflicting information. A person at dh's work was made redundant and later returned to the company, he was there for 2 years and was paid 16 weeks. Someone else has said you are paid 4 weeks for every year plus bonuses, leave, penalties etc.
    There is also a mention of severance pay being paid in line with company policy in dh's contact and when I found this on the web it stated that is up to 16weeks pay.

It's confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I thought it was 12 weeks pay for every 10 years as my friend's husband was just offered redundancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it's voluntary redundancy, the packages might be better. My friend's husband was offered 12 months pay and all his LSL. If he was forced, they could offer less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the normal is about 4 weeks pay for every year of service plus any outstanding leave and if with the comany more than 5 years, pro rata or long service.

Big Red v- your friends hubby being majorly ripped off and I hope he seeks advice before accepting.

kimberly gal i can not imagine why a company would pay somone out 16 weeks if they were only with the company 2 years unless they took no annual leave at all in the time they were there which would = 8 weeks unused annual + 8 weeks payout.

eta - big red v ...was he given 12 months or 12 week pay? normally, payouts are capped at 12 months worth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm so confusing, it's doing my head in!

The company dh is working for is restructuring positions meaning dh's position will be made redundant. They said he could apply for the newly made position which includes dh's position and another 2 positions rolled into the 1 position so dh doesn't want that added stress and he is only partly qualified due to the inclusion of the one other position. So if he doesn't want to apply for the position he is to ask for a redundancy is what he was told. Now that's all well and good but how does that sit? Even though his position is to be made redundant, if he asks for a redundancy will that mean it's voluntary? I've told him to advise them that if his position is not going to be available for him they will need to offer a redundancy.
    We have an income protection insurance policy and insurance on our car loan for this scenario but neither will cover for voluntary redundancies.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    the normal is about 4 weeks pay for every year of service plus any outstanding leave and if with the comany more than 5 years, pro rata or long service.

Big Red v- your friends hubby being majorly ripped off and I hope he seeks advice before accepting.

kimberly gal i can not imagine why a company would pay somone out 16 weeks if they were only with the company 2 years unless they took no annual leave at all in the time they were there which would = 8 weeks unused annual + 8 weeks payout.

eta - big red v ...was he given 12 months or 12 week pay? normally, payouts are capped at 12 months worth.
    He was offered 12 months but if it was forced they only have to offer 12 weeks for 10 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and he didn't accept the package.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a redundancy through qld government (for comparison, and this was a voluntary redundancy)

It was 12w pay plus 2 weeks for every year of service. On top of that they paid out long service leave accrued in the package (so it was taxed less). Because it was voluntary I could not go back to work for them during the paid period (I.e. I got a total of 16w pay, so I could not return before 16w after the payout) otherwise I'd have to pay back a portion.

Hth.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given an estimate when I was given my letter too, as we had a choice to get the payout or go on a wait list.