+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default One embryo or two???

Hi ladies

We are onto our third transfer cycle and would like to know our thoughts on the idea of putting two embryos in instead of one. We have plenty of embryos in storage so that is not an issue. However my thought is that two would give us a slightly better chance. I am 27 years old so believe if it did result in twins I could, hopefully carry them safely.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kelbel we are currently doing our first cycle. We are 28 years old. The clinic we are with won't let us tf more than one embryo at a time :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were told due to age etc we could only do one for the first cycle but they said nothing about subsequent ones

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it comes down to whether the risk of twins for you is worth it. Twins sounds ideal to a lot of people, but they are MUCH riskier pregnancies and a lot can go horribly wrong. For us, we did do a double transfer on our successful cycle, however we had a history of having very bad quality embryos, so we figured that there was less chance of us having twins than most other IVF couples. Fortunately it worked out for us and only one stuck, but all I can say is think very long and hard about it, as it really does only increase your chances of success by a small amount (about 5%), but it increases your chance of twins by about 50%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unless you have had a certain amount of tries and not been successful most drs are sensible and will only allow one to be transferred.

We are doing our final cycle in December and our ob is happy to transfer 2 taking into account our failed attempts, my age and the fact we don't have much success with our embys thawing. The chances of both embryos implanting is not much higher than having the 1 transferred but they can assist each other so the hope is to get one embryo implanted but if both did that's fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can understand the temptation but I don't think I'd do it. My situation is very different though, we did 3 stim cycles and only got one in the freezer on our last attempt. So we didn't have the extras to play with so to speak.

We also have a DD already so having twins second time around didn't seem fair to her. The risky pregnancy and challenges of 2 (or more!) new babies - just too much.

You need to be very sure you can handle 2 and have the support network around you. It's a nice idea in theory but the reality is pretty tough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input ladies.
    i have a lot of family around and this is our first bub. i know the laws say that they cant stop you transferring two but a lot seem against it due to twin pregnancies being higher risk. however reading the odd of successful double embryo transfers resulting in twins I am inclined to consider it. Twins or singleton I am fine with.
    I am also looking at the fact that we dont have endless funds to pour into a doctors new car . if this one wasnt succesful i would probably go back to transferring just one

Thanks
    Reviews
    At my clinic if you're under 35 they won't transfer 2 unless you've had three failed ivf cycles.

You need to also remember that one egg transferred can still result in twins.

If it were me, I would transfer two if it were an option. I desire to have two kids. I'd risk twins on a first pregnancy, but not a second as I definitely don't want three kids.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CandE For This Useful Post:

kelbel86  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have transferred one and I have transferred two. I didn't have success with either. This cycle I had the option of doing one or two but made my mind up really 100% yesterday when I saw a mum with very young twin bubs in the shop. She looked frazzled, her pram could barely fit in the aisles of best and less and I just realized how much harder two would be. The main reason I transferred two last cycle was because I know that maybe some women end up with just one bub from it but I also know that by putting two back you barely change the chances of the IVF cycle working. Of course if you have heaps of frozen embryos and your FS lets you then it is something that is completely up to you, at the end of the day you have to weigh up how you will feel about having multiples and that can mean even three or four babies. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sariele

Could you tell me why a 2 emb transfer only increases by 5%. Is because of implantation issues

Thanks EJJ
    Last edited by ejj87; 03-12-2013 at 18:17.