+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Placenta encapsulation - tell me what you know

So I'm interested in getting my placenta encapsulated this time round.

Have you done it
    What do you know about it
    Did it benefit you

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't done it, but ill be keeping my placenta this time to encapsulate if required.
    It has so many benefits but only if the placenta is healthy, I believe.
    You can do it yourself using a dehydrator or pay some one to do it

They say Fresh is best but if you can't do it within 2 days if keeping placenta cool in Friday you can freeze for up to 6 months I think ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy18 For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did it with my son's placenta. I washed it, cut off the cord and cleaned off the membranes. Then I steamed it for 30 mins, over a pot filled with lemon and some other herbs that I can't remember off the top of my head. After it was steamed, I sliced it into slivers and put it in my dehydrator for 12 hrs. Once dehydrated, I put it in my food processor to grind it into powder and then filled capsules that I'd bought on ebay.
    I took two capsules 3 times a day for the first week, two capsules twice a week for the next 3 weeks and then two capsules a day for the next six months, taking an extra two a day during AF.
    I didn't get the baby blues after bub was born and I didn't get the fatigue that I got with the previous 3 births. I would recommend it to anyone, though I do understand ppl being squeemish. I did encapsulation because I couldn't bring myself to eat the placenta and had no issues after the first few capsules (I had some difficulty getting in the right head space to swallow the first few, but got used to it quickly).

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did the same as the above poster but just did the last step in the oven as I don't have a dehydrator. Lowest heat with the door propped slightly open for 6 or so hours. I steamed it over lemongrass, chilli and ginger.

It was my first birth so nothing to compare it to but I had no baby blues whatsoever, milk came in fast and strong and they definitely helped who energy. I'll be doing it again this time for sure and am doing it for my friend who is due in a week or so.

I also had a smoothie with a raw piece in it the day after birth. It was a bit hard to get it down because of how it looked but it tasted like a regular berry smoothie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks I know I couldn't stomach it raw, an I'd like to get it encapsulated but its quite pricey!

I don't have a dehydrator, I also prob couldn't do it in the oven myself. Would freak me out too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had mine encapsulated by a post natal doula. Was excellent I did heaps of reading into the benefits before I went ahead.

The benefits I experienced were the same as what green mama described.

I also kept a few capsules for times when I'm feeling really tired and run down. I can say that I did notice that my breasts started leaking milk again (like when you have a newborn) a few months back when I took them for 3 days in a row. I haven't had that problem for a year, so they must help with milk supply!!!!

I'm going to get my next placenta done again

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (03-12-2013)