+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are active births supported at Mater public in Brisbane?

Hi ladies!
    (this is my 1st post so I hope I've done it right!)

So I'm half way through my pregnancy and am on the waiting list for the midwifery group practice through the Mater, Brisbane.
    I haven't heard anything so am thinking I'm not going to get in, and was wondering if anyone has had any issues or if they were fully supported in having an active birth in the Mater mothers public hospital? No internal examinations, interventions, pain relief etc as long as everything is going smoothly? I really want to do my best at being active throughout my labour but am concerned I will get a midwife/midwifed who don't support this? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You should get this at any hospital...you just have to speak up and be firm about what you want. I refused any intervention with #4&5 and they just left me be until it was time to deliver
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 02-12-2013 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that's what I thought. I'm just a little concerned because I've heard some midwives can be unsympathetic and un-agreeable if it goes against their beliefs. The midwifery group practice would've been perfect, but I am on the waiting list and not looking like getting in. Thank you for your post, it definitely puts my mind at ease I will just Stand firm and do what feels right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I disagree with ozeymumof5. It is not always just a matter of saying 'i don't consent'. there can be so much pressure and coercion and false information given that it is hard to work out what is the truth. And sometimes, even your refusal is not accepted.

i would encourage you to read Rhea Dempsey's book "Birth With Confidence: Savvy choices for normal birth"

It is Australia specific, and talks about the birth culture and how to prepare yourself and your support team to give you the best chance of the birth you want.

Great idea to look into the policy and culture of where you are looking at birthing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hospitals practice active management of birth, this means that births need to fit a certain pattern otherwise intervention is suggested. If you looking for an expectant management of birth, that is, where birth is observed an intervention is only suggested if there is a problem or your labour veers from normal then you are best to hire a midwife and birth at home. Of course, on the public system there are midwives who practice expectant management but this is luck of the draw on the day if birth.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    If you're after an unmedicated, intervention free birth then you will need to plan for it as the overwhelming majority of women have some sort of intervention in their birth, especially their first birth (is this your first?).

It can be really REALLY hard to say "no, I don't want to do that" to a health care professional so you should spend the time now to investigate how to maximise your chances of having the birth you desire.

Read, read, read!

A good start would be to read lots of the posts in this forum on the subject (there are plenty out there!!)

Don't be afraid to come in and post any and all questions, there is no such thing as a stupid question. This is especially the case if you start to go over and they start talking inductions and/or stretch and sweeps.

Best of luck.