+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breasts causing pain when sleeping

I'm 9 weeks along and my breasts have been sore for weeks. However, I think they are also starting to change size & are becoming more painful. I'm busty anyway & I sleep on my side but it is really starting to hurt - this is also causing me to have neck pain & headaches again.

I'm currently wearing a sleep bra - one of these ones http://www.ordersleeptop.com/main.sc which is what I had before I fell pregnant. In the last few weeks I've found it is not supportive at all & have taken to wearing an 'ah-bra' over the top of it. Even this doesn't work anymore & I have no idea what to do. I know this is only going to get worse as they get even bigger.

I'm having trouble sleeping because I'm in so much pain because my breasts aren't supported. If this continues I'm going to have little choice but to wear an underwire bra to bed, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations of what I could try? I really want to avoid hurting my neck to the extent it used to be at when I was wearing a poorly fitting bra. Plus I just want to get a good nights sleep!

By the way, on a similar note, it is going to be a massive deal if I choose to wear an underwire bra during the day throughout my entire pregnancy? From what I've heard about maternity bras I feel as though I have little choice if I actually want some support. Plus I don't like my chances of finding any in my size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you need to worry about giving the underwire bra up until the 4th or 5th month, and having said that many women wear underwire bras through their entire pregnancy and breastfeed perfectly, including myself with DS who I BF.

I wear Elle MacPherson "Maternelle" Maternity Bras and they are super supportive and comfortable I wouldn't buy any other brand. They are pricey but worth every cent. They are around $60 but you can get them on Ebay for around $25-$30.00

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hot Milk & Cake brands make maternity bras in large sizes. Mine are Hot Milk & G cup - no underwire & I've been in them for several months now. They've done an ok job support wise, although i didn't think they would! I haven't ever found I needed a bra for bed, but that might just be a personal preference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in a 12G (was an E pre-pregnancy, currently bf a 4 month old)
    I found my boobs were so sore in the early part of my pregnancy, it would wake me up at night cos they were so sore. Bit for me that discomfort actually settled down later in the pregnancy, maybe during second trimester, I can't really remember.

I was strongly discouraged from wearing an underwire bra. I know some people do, but it can really affect the development of your milk ducts and the pressure of the wire can lead to blocked ducts and mastitis down the track.

Hotmilk and Freya would be my recommendation for brands. They are the only ones I've found which do the bigger sizes. I think Bras and Things go up to an F with a 'flexiwire' in their nursing bras, but I couldn't squeeze into them.

I have no solutions for night, I wear an Ahhbra with a nursing singlet over the top and I'm often uncomfortable still. It sux.

Good luck OP, you have my sympathy! As soon as we have finished having kids I'm having a breast reduction and lift....and I can't wait!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice on bras because I have tiny boobs lol, but mine stopped hurting at around 16 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! Thanks for the ideas of brands to check out.

Realistically, how supportive can I expect a maternity/wire free bra to be? I was a 8FF/10F before pregnancy so no idea how much bigger I'll get. I've had major neck issues due to wearing unsupportive bras so I need to make sure I find something that is really supportive.

Jellyfishie - I've also thought about getting a reduction, mostly because of the on-going chronic neck pain my breasts cause me. I'm not sure if I ever will get it done, but it would certainly be nice to be able to just walk into a department store & buy a bra as opposed to treking all around town trying to find something in my size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out blestbras.com.au. I was an e cup before pregnancy and haven't gotten heaps bigger at 25 wks but that will come I guess. I sleep in a crop top type thing, maybe try a wire free bra at night and a wired bra during the day, then see if you change size in another month. My understanding is that it's not advised to wear underwire while lactating as try can irritate breast tissue more.