+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dying hair while pregnant?

So I'm a natural blonde. I dye my hair red. I was just out at the shops and the cashier complimented me on the colour and said it looked lovely. The older lady behind me butted in and said how negligent of me to die my hair while I was pregnant as it can cause my baby to die... The lady behind her then butted in saying how I was stupid for putting my babies life at risk. I just walked off. I was a little bit shaken up and went home and read the hair dye book and the box and there was no warning at all to consult a doctor before use or it's dangerous to use while pregnant. Surely if it was that dangerous they would have to put it on the box right?
    Am I really a horrible person for dying my hair?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No you're not a horrible person!! The horrible people are those women butting in about something they have no idea about!!

It's not dangerous and it's not negligent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The amount of chemical your body actually absorbs is soooooo tiny!
    But your body is absorbing some of he chemical through the skin on your head, so you do need to be aware of that.
    But it is honestly so small it's not worth thinking about.
    Your body is also absorbing chemical from so many other things in the environment, and our bodies are able to cope with some of this and pass it.

Keep dying your hair! It'll make you feel better anyway!
    Good endorphins for baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doctor and hair dresser told me it is fine. The amount that you absorb through your skin is minimal and the chance of it getting to the baby is even less. However, many people choose not to dye in the first trimester. Others stick with highlights rather than scalp to end treatments. Myself, I need to cover my grey so I just ensured that my hair dresser knew I was pregnant and made sure I was well ventilated. It's a personal choice but I went in educated and felt good with my decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I figured the chemicals weren't ideal and because I'm really messy (especially with bright red hair die) I always die my hair outside. And I didnt die my hair in the first trimester... I'm now almost 39 weeks though so I didn't see the harm and I looked ridiculous with long dirty blonde regrowth haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No you're not a horrible person at all!!! I dyed my hair while pregnant and I know a lot of other women who have too!
    They are the horrible people for making you feel that way!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its 100% fine to dye your hair while pregnant! You dont absorb very much dye through your scalp (if you did we couldnt dye it ever!).
    People think they have a right to comment on everything when you are pregnant. Next time say 'I will be sure to tell my Dr you said they are wrong next time I see him/her'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingbutterfly For This Useful Post:

First time Mum NSW  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What horrible women. I hope they stub their toes on the end of their beds tonight.
    In the 60's or 70's there was a chemical in black hair dye that was bad for unborn babies, this chemical is no longer in hair dye. Studies done recently have not shown any ill effects of dying hair during pregnancy and so many hairdressers work through their pregnancies without any ill effects.