+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What if he wont sign the birth certificate?

What happens if the father of baby refuses to sign the birth certificate (due to dispute over surname)?

Im forseeing this happening in a few weeks and just want to know what will have to happen in that circumstance? I will not leave him off the birth certificate, my child deserves his name to be there, but i have decided to use my surname and i know the father will not like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think you can still name him as the father.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Fill out the birth certificate with all yours, babies and birth fathers details. If he won't sign it then you will have to include a stat decl stating why you can't obtain his signature and send it to BD&M. They will get in contact with you if there are any problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Still name him in the registration form, and attach a stat dec explaining that he won't sign. His name won't be on the certificate (unless you are currently married) but they'll keep his name on file.

If you're married, or have lived together during the pregnancy then presumption of parentage may apply which makes the child support process easier. If not, then definitely seek legal advice (a free community legal centre can help with this) over the process to get him recognised as the father for child support.

If he won't sign he's being very childish. He's still the father, and still required to pay child support. I hope he surprises you and is co operative after all.
    Last edited by MissMuppet; 02-12-2013 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. A stat dec needs to be witnessed by a JP yeah? He may sign. who knows, but im wanting to prepare incase he wont.

Glad it can be done, im sure a million other mums have done the same. Would be a shame not to have his name on the certificate as I feel my daughter (when she grows up and understands) would like to see it their.