+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It might be worth looking at what happened in your previous labours, and if things happened that may have increased the risk of having a retained placenta.

did you have syntocinon during your labour? did you have a medically managed 3rd stage? Was your cord pulled on before your body was ready?
    did you have skin to skin time with baby? did you feel safe and secure? how long did they wait for the placenta to come away?

Talking to a private midwife may offer a different perspective on why things happened, and what could be done differently next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bubbles10, yes the first birth I had everything, induction, epidural, medical 3rd stage with cord pulling etc etc.... So I was determined to have the 2nd all natural as I had read all of these things increased chances of a retained placenta. No drugs (other than a bit of gas at the end), beautiful calm water birth and I refused the injection for the 3rd stage and ask for the cord to stop pulsating before being cut. All this in hope of avoiding a retained placenta, however I still had one and with it a huge blood loss. The OB I saw recently said that refusing the injection is probably why I had the blood loss as it reduces bleeding. No one told me this :-(. I'm guessing my body just holds that placenta too tight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    Oh wow this is scary. My first placenta was manually removed in theatre after a posterior bub. I had a retained placenta with my 2nd and lost 2L of blood, I was told another retained placenta was VERY unlikely. Of course I again retained placenta and lost 2.2L this time. We will have a 4th...and I'm guessing it will happen again. Accreta sounds very scary and will definitely be something I will be. Talking with my middie about
    After having massive haemorrhages with all of your babies I would really be talking to an obstetrician before falling pregnant. You're putting your life at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    After having massive haemorrhages with all of your babies I would really be talking to an obstetrician before falling pregnant. You're putting your life at risk.
    Have you seen this much in your work? apart from giving my ob my hx what can be done? if anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe they can sometimes pick it up on ultrasound - but doesn't rule it out if they can't see anything. They can also do an MRI I believe if concerned. Not much you can do, but be prepared for the birth. My OB said I would have to be induced to ensure a day birth and have blood ready. A CS would be preferred.