+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Unstable hours and child care

So I was offered a casual position, great job great pay, the catch is I only know schedule one week in advance and hours can vary any where from 10 to 38 hrs. I talked to DS' childcare center but they're normally fully booked and can't do flexible days. I'm not comfortable with family day care but if I have to, I want him to go to just 1 carer that I trust. But none of the ones I talked to can do flexible days, they want set days. It takes a long time for DS to get to know one person, I can't send him to different random carers based on their availability each week. Getting an au par or book him in a center 5 days a week means we loss money if I have only a few hours of work. Any mum in the same situation, how do you arrange child care in the most cost effective way and least disruptive to the little one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've been there and it just didn't work out. I had to book the kids in for 5 days of daycare each week, and often I would be paying more for care than I was earning.
    Even now, being casually employed, I've just had to settle for less work as it's not financially viable to have the kids booked into before and after school care just in case I get work.

It sucks but the casualisation of the workforce makes it so incredibly difficult for parents to get back out in to the workforce.

I hope you can sort something out OP, it would be such a shame to pass up such a good opportunity.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (02-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I'll have to make it work somehow, this can be my only chance to get a career

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hours change weekly, although I get a few weeks notice. DD is booked into a casual position at daycare, and I'm lucky that we live in an area where I can normally get her in with a few weeks notice. I don't know what I'll do when we move! I guess the only thing I could suggest is to look around at more day area and one might have some vacancies for casual spots? Difficult in a lot of areas though I know

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (02-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Unfortunately your only option would be an occasional care centre but a spot isn't guaranteed.

I'd probably look at the au pair option.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (02-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A nanny? A girlfriend of mine couldn't get childcare for her second one so she get a nanny. Used to pay her $20/h but came home to an entertained child and a clean house with dinner on the table.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (02-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you get CCR with a nanny?
    Last edited by lovesushi; 09-12-2013 at 02:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that if they are registered as an approved care provider then yes you can claim CCR. This may of changed, but when we had a nanny a few years ago centrelink advised me of this. We weren't able to do this because our nanny was a parents from DP's school where he teaches.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend claimed CCR with her nanny

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty sure CCR with a registered nanny it is only 65c per hour rebate.

With an approved nanny (most agencies) you can claim the standard ccb & ccr.

*Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life*

17. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-12-2013)