+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with Heinz nurture, used it with all three children with no problems

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you so much ladies

I haven't tried the brown sugar so will do that tomorrow morning when he wakes up. He did a very small and very dark green poo so thats something but after all that screaming it's not even close to enough. His last one was friday morning so if we cant get him to poo we will take him to the gp tomorrow. He is just so uncomfortable It breaks my heart

And thanks for highly recomending Heinz nurture I think we are pretty set on changing to it. I was just saying to dh that when we finally unblock him he is most likely just going to keep getting constipated so best to see if there is a formula that we wont have so much trouble with.

Thanks again ladies I really appreciate it. Dh is doing night shift so wont be home until later and Ive spent the whole day stressing and trying to console ds2 while trying to entertain the toddler. Finally both in bed so hopefully that's it and I can relax. All ypur advice has helped

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you give coloxyl you need to give it every day all the time to help with chronic constipation. Don't give it then stop because they go. .. is a daily thing.
    You seem to have done all the things I could think of .. my daughter has chronic constipation. Try more water in the formula? I'd see the GP. Sometimes constipation is mild cows milk protein intolerance. Is there any blood in the stools?
    Also is bub is really uncomfortable you can give lactulose.. about 1ml for a 4-5kgs. But that can cause tummy pain in some kids as its can move through the system pretty quick. I give it to my dd if she hadn't gone in 2-3 days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Subbing, will go on laptop to reply.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby girl has recently gone through Constipation and I tried everything you did as well as the brown sugar and water which also didn't work for me.

We brought little infant suppositories which we have 1 a day for 2 days. This clears the hard stuff which can impact and cause problems. Dd didn't mind them at all - didn't seem to notice and was just so relaxed... Try to do 2 as one does not always get everything out.

We have found the thing that worked the best out of everything wa infants friend. We had some in the cupboard when DD had gripe pains which I didn't find very helpful. I just have it to her befor each feed and by the next day she did this BIG poop. After that I give it to her the morning of the second day without a Bowel movement. By that afternoon she will have had one.

All of the above was approved by Dds paediatrician!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Ok, on my laptop now, easier to reply.

Firstly, if you think it is the formula making him constipated it is worth changing to a different one. It would be much better to remove the cause of the constipation than to treat it. But also remember that changing formulas can cause some constipation too, so you'll have to stick with the new formula for around 2 weeks to know for sure.

I would try the sugar water first, it draws water into the bowel and makes the stool softer. Are his poos hard like pellets? Could it be something like colic symptoms giving him the belly ache?

From what I understand from what My DS1's Paed told us at the time, Lactulose is basically a sugar syrup and works by drawing moisture into the bowel.

I would try other methods before trying coloxyl, unfortunately if they are already quite constipated and having a lot of trouble pooing etc, it is best to try and soften his poo first.

Feel free to PM me, My oldest suffered from chronic constipation for years, pretty much every single method we tried for him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry ladies I have tried to reply a few times but have been busy!

Tamtam I had no idea about keeping up with the coloxyl so thank you for bringing that up. He hasn't ever had blood in his stools thankfully.

Meld85 we actually have gripe water and infants friend in the fridge and it has always made my boys poop so thank you for reminding me No idea how I didnt remember that! I have considered the suppository route because I do feel like there is a bit of a "plug" there lol

Peanutmonkey I do believe it is the formula just because he has never been a great pooer (is that even a word? Lol) On this formula. I guess over time he has just become more and more blocked up.

So the update: Yesterday we started him on Heinz nurture and gave him the brown sugar in water...I am happy to say he did a big poo 2 hours later and it was a nappy filler! I dont believe I have ever been so excited to see poo before it was such a relief TMI but it was yellow aswell not the really dark green it has been for the last two months. He did a smaller poo later on which according to dh was a little bit runny but I guess that was just the left over poo. We decided to give him another lot of brown sugar and water this afternoon but he hasn't done a poo today and he is in bed now so probably wont. But Im not as worried because as pm said it could just be the changing of the formula. Or even the huge one he did yesterday cleared him enough...we will see tomorrow I guess.

If he doesn't poo tomorrow do you think I should give him coloxyl? Or even start giving it to him tomorrow again? I feel so clueless and he's my second baby, some things don't get easier the more you have lol

Tamtam and peanutmonkey chronic constipation sounds terrible I cant imagine how painful and uncomfortable they are

Thank you everybody for all the advice I really appreciate

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    👍 yay for pooing!

My GP also said a little bit of probiotic powder in the formula can help too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news.
    Sounds like this Brown Sugar helped.
    Honestly. .. and each to their own. .. but I've been giving coloxyl daily for over 5 months. In fact the drs last week even told me I could double the dose to help her. .. she's been worse since starting to eat more food. That means at 7.5kgs she'd be having 2mls a day.
    If you wanted to give it then I don't think it would do any harm. It is quite gentle.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thats fantastic! So glad it worked.

My DS3 has nappy splosions on the heinz but he has a mild CMPI (we cannot get him to dribk the prescription formula) but hey I will take it over constipation anyday.

I probably wouldnt give coloxyl just yet personally but like Tamtam said it's fairly gentle. The problem witb being on iy long term means they become dependant on it and need to be weaned (my DS1 was on lactulose, parachoc and movicol half sachets for over 8 months straight before he turned 4).

Good luck though. Seems the change in formula is working so far, fingers crossed it continues xox

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (03-12-2013)