+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Preparing to be single...

What are the kind of things that you would advise for someone who is planning on leaving their partner to organize?

If you are the one who left your relationship, what did YOU do to prepare?

And is there any way of letting centrelink know of your intent to claim PPS without your partner having to confirm that the relationship will be/is over?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    What are the kind of things that you would advise for someone who is planning on leaving their partner to organize?

If you are the one who left your relationship, what did YOU do to prepare?

And is there any way of letting centrelink know of your intent to claim PPS without your partner having to confirm that the relationship will be/is over?

Thanks.
    First and foremost, finances and a decent place to live.

Yes. Your partner doesn't need to be involved at all. When I put in my intent to claim they just made me an appointment. I needed two independent referees to confirm that the separation had occurred- they can just be friends, anyone. You give the CL person their number and they ring them while you're there at the interview.

I found I had to be moved out before I could actually claim the payment, so it's best to have a few weeks' savings set aside for the in-between period. Child support can take a while to start too, if it comes through at all. However, I didn't realise at the time that you can apply for the payment under "separated under one roof" which would obviously be better in terms of preparing financially to get your own place, so I would advise they look into that first.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (01-12-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Prob good idea to see a social worker at centrelink to help you with all aspects.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (01-12-2013),~ElectricPink~  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks...will definitely contact centrelink to see what the options are!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    No your partner does not need to be involved. My ex had no idea I'd applied and been approved whilst we were still living in the same property. Make an appointment to see a social worker asap.

Do you have separate bank accounts? If not, I would get on to this asap. If you are able to put away some money, I'd do this as well.

What are you intending to do about the property you live in? I told my ex we had been given notice to vacate by the RE and we had to move. I went on a 'holiday' to see a friend and went on a rental application frenzy. Once everything was in place I dropped it to him that we would not be living together any more. I was really worried about his reaction as he was rather abusive, but fortunately he took it quite well.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (28-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Couple of things I'd mention...

Important documents kept offsite somewhere safe; particularly birth certificates. Open a new bank account at a different bank to where you normally bank. Again keep account numbers safe & copies of statements elsewhere.

Centrelink do 'separated under one roof' where you see a social worker. The social worker may in fact verify the relationship breakdown with the other person and their questions can be invasive ie where do you sleep/where does the other person sleep/ when was the last time you were intimate. When I went onto PPS they sent a form out to 2 people that had to be filled in and returned to verify the relationship breakdown.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MummysYellowCar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    - separate bank account, credit card etc
    - important papers put aside
    - some money for the move if you can
    - know in advance all your eligible payments
    - start looking at rentals to get an idea
    - change name on loans if possible
    - if you need a new car or loan etc get it while still living with 2 incomes (even if only going in your name)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your replies. I have made some preparations, though I won't go into specifics as I am watched on here every now and then, IYKWIM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (28-12-2013),HarvestMoon  (28-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your replies. I have made some preparations, though I won't go into specifics as I am watched on here every now and then, IYKWIM.
    Good luck! I hope everything works out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing