+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is your suburb friendly?

I live in an area where people seem to be so unfriendly. Our neighbours barely wave at us and people don't say hello or smile in the street. At my son's kindergarten I'd be lucky to get a gruff "hi" back in responses to my friendly smile and "good morning". It really gets me down living like this! The last place I lived was so friendly. Is your suburb friendly? Is there anyone who likes living in a place where people don't smile and greet each other?

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My estate (if you could call it that, lol) is really friendly. We know our neighbours and they're tops.

I don't have experience with our local schools/kindy but the next suburb over is probably equally friendly as it is scary, lol.

If it's an elite-ish area you might get snubbed by the 'new-money' types, the "poorer" areas tend to have more welcoming neighbours in my experience

What area do you live in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Very much so! We know everyone (well all the permanent people, not so much the holiday houses) on our street and talk to them regularly. When were out walking we always say hello to people we don't know and most others do the same. Although we don't really live in a suburb as such, it's a 'holiday town' about 2 hrs from Melbourne.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, we are friendly with many of our neighbours but wouldn't ever invite them for coffee etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think it's friendly enough. The neighbours and I say hi if we see each other in passing. I like to keep to myself though... so it definitely suffices for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we have only lived here for 5 months and the neighbours are all lovely. Next door invited us over for a playdate and vice cersa, welcomed us to come and swim in the pool, take dd off my hands for a couple of hours if i need it (im pregnant)

Very friendly street. We previously lived in the same suburb, different street and was the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it's a friendly area. When I walk my dog and sometimes DS comes too, people always smile and say hi if they're outside in their garden, I love it.

Disagree with above comment that affluent areas can be snobby, so untrue. This is a good area and I've lived in good areas in Sydney and I've always had mostly friendly neighbours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not really. It's a well-to-do suburb (we could only afford a little villa) and not very family friendly. It's mainly retirees. Nobody says hello when I'm out walking with my baby, even if I smile and say good morning. And people complain about the younger generation....
    I do say hello to most if the others in my complex but that's it and my next door neighbour will bring the bin in if we are away.
    I don't mind tbh I'm rather shy and like that nobody is nosing in on my business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We love our area, were only new here yet we have phone numbers of our neighbours & don't hesitate to call them. Everyone is so friendly & always happy to stop for a chat even though not many have children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We live in one of the better parts of a good suburb and it is super friendly. We know the names of most of the people in our street and always end up chatting to people whenever we're outside. I would love to stay here long term