+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I use a breast pump for increasing supply?

Hi I've just bought a tomee tippee miomee single electric breast pump to try and help with supply. I plan on using it after bubs has fed however he is demand fed and a comfort sucker too so I'm a bit confused how many times a day to use it and also for how long each time? Will I need to pump long term or just until I see an increase? Tried it out earlier and could barely get 5mLs...feeling very deflated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The amount you pump is not indicative of your supply.

Firstly how old is bubs? Why do you think you have low supply?

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't know if it's the pump but I have the same pump bought for me and find I get heaps better results from my manual pump. Even on the highest settings for a 10min pump I would be lucky to get 10mls when I use the manual can easily get 50mls plus in the same time. I would pump half an hour after last feed and then an hour after the last feed of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The best way to boost supply is to keep bub on boob as much as possible - not ideal I know but pumping stresses you out because you think you have no supply.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-11-2013),CleverClogs  (30-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is 7 weeks old and was putting on 150g a.week but this last week he only put on 50g and the child health nurse said I have a low milk supply possibly due to having small breasts. She also told me to start motilium. He was 50th percentile when born but is now 25th....I am just freaking out because I don't want to have to.formula feed so trying everything I can...
    Also he is demand fed so on the boob a lot. Just started blessed thistle and fenugreek too plus eat lactation cookies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your best bet would be to have a consultation with a lactation consultant.

They are amazing & have loads of useful advice on building up supplies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate how often women are being told they have poor supply because of baby not gaining weight by the book. Is bub losing weight? If you never went near a scale would you say baby is happy, lots of wet nappies, healthy looking? Is he sucking and swallowing? The size of your boobs is no indication on how much milk you produce, nor is what percentile they are on the charts. I would step back from scales and MCHNs for a few weeks and try to relax and trust your instincts. If you feel there is a problem then discuss with your GP.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-11-2013),Mopoke  (30-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not an expert but have been through the whole low supply thing. DD was failure to thrive, she'd maybe put on 30 or 40g per week and we'd be really happy. Some weeks she wouldn't gain at all or even lost weight a couple of times. We had a few medical issues though.

In your case I would just keep on going as you were, demand feed etc, and see how much bub gains next week. You might find he jumps back up to gaining 100g+.

Poor milk supply due to small breasts is just not true. It's got nothing to do with size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got supply issues too. My four week old only learnt to latch a week ago so I was expressing every 3 hrs before.
    The lactation consults says a baby will increase the supply better than a pump, they are more efficient at draining the breast.
    I am also on motilium, lactation cookies (with fenugreek), nursing tea and also stabilized wheat germ. Make sure you
    drink loads of water too.
    The LC told me that if bub didn't have a decent 15-20 min suck each feed then to express up to 20 mins on each side.
    I'm comping my bub with formula only when she is not settled after a bf.
    It's turning out that she gets comped every 2nd or 3rd feed.
    If say it's well worth a call to the ABA for advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fenugreek tablets helped my supply...more pumping didn't help and like you OP I got hardly anything out and just took up every bit of my time. Best to spend a day in bed skin on skin and feed on demand with bub over pumping. GL