+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Extreme tantrums at 15 months old

Hi there
    I am feeling a little frustrated at the moment as my son has been having full blown tantrums. I understand that this is what kids do when they don't get their own way etc but lately it seems my son is tantruming for no apparent reason and there is nothing I can do to comfort him as when I do he tries to hit me. I got home from work the other day and he saw me and completely ignored me and then when I went near him, he threw himself on the ground and was inconsolable. he seemed tired but he had slept for 3 hours in the day!! He just seems so cranky - Is this normal behaviour for this age???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Must be just me then!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Each child is different and deals with their emotions differently. My DD sounds just like your son, my first child has never thrown a tantrum!
    What I do now is just stand close by and let her go through the motions, she calms down very fast. This only happens at home so I am not sure what I would do in public but I don't take them out when they are tired or miserable so that seems to avoid some of that I think. If I try pick her up, bribe her - even look at her, I get hit, screamed at etc. if I leave the room she just follows and throws herself on the floor at my feet. I stand still near her and look the other way now - she seems to be getting a grip now (she is 20 months) quicker. It is important that they are given the time to let their feelings out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD chucks some doozies lately, she head buts so it's painful for everyone
    I just put her down if she does it when I'm holding her, or if she hits me (which she also does a fair bit). If she does it during play I ignore it, and ask her if she's ok after it runs it's course.
    If she's getting into trouble (and than chucking a tantrum because she can't have her own way), I move her away and let her go until she's a bit calmer.
    I figure if it doesn't get a big reaction than she'll move on more quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going through it for the last few months apparently very normal. He tantrums if I try putting him to sleep and not daddy, if his hat us not on, if his truck has a roof and he doesn't want that etc, anything really

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine is 19 months and they have started to settle down . He gets annoyed no no where near what he was

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 16 month old DS is the same. Everything is worthy of a meltdown with biting, hitting, head banging, throwing himself over backwards and screaming blue murder etc etc. The other day he was so angry at something (god knows what) that he savaged the bars of the safety gate blocking his entry to the kitchen. He was like a caged lion biting the bars!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    My 16 month old DS is the same. Everything is worthy of a meltdown with biting, hitting, head banging, throwing himself over backwards and screaming blue murder etc etc. The other day he was so angry at something (god knows what) that he savaged the bars of the safety gate blocking his entry to the kitchen. He was like a caged lion biting the bars!
    My 17 month old son is the same, he has gone from the happiest baby who is always smiling and laughing to a baby that at times I don't recognise. He throws tantrums over everything and they always involve head butting, he headbutts the floor the wall the glass door his cot the pavers outside, I'm surprised he hasn't given himself a concussion yet. I really hope it passes soon it makes going out very difficult actually it makes being at home very difficult to lol