+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Age to ride bike home from school

My son is 8 and has a sudden obsession for riding his bike to and from school.I don't have a bike (yet)so I walk to school while my 2 DS's ride bikes,and they go slow,stop and wait for me.Then we get to traffic light crossing before school,where DS1 crosses alone and walks up hill to school.After school he gets his bike and meets me again at bottom.
    Am I being over protective by not letting him just ride all the way to school alone?In all honesty,its a 5 min (10 at max) ride.The only thing is its along a canal,so a private footpath so no crossing major roads/riding them but also a risk of being private for psychos (not that Ive seen ANY dodgy ppl in anytime Ive walked along there)
    DH says NO WAY! but I am the one always walking them so..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gosh I see kids in year 1 walking and riding their bikes home - without a parent, around here. [I do remember the school sending home a newsletter saying they recommended kids from K-yr2 should be accompanied)

I think you have to do the 'depends on the kid' thing, and also depends on the area. and your confidence level.

Maybe just take a few metres off of your walk each week, walking less and less distance?

I've gone from walking them IN, to walking to the gate, to walking to the corner, to walking to the letter box ..mind you we can see the school from our letterbox.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 29-11-2013 at 20:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I am walking HOME,they take off (usually a friend or 2 joining in)so I cant actually see them for a good 5 mins until I catch up...
    I am usually such a helicopter Mum,,,I think I will actually freak if I let him do it.But it seems like every one of his friends/peers are doing it...maybe its normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 8 is pretty young. My ds is 12 and started riding only a couple of months ago. He has a mobile and I have installed the Daniel Morcombe help me app on it if he ever is threatened by someone.

I wouldn't let my 8 yr ride alone to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't let my 8yo.
    My oldest has just turned 11yo and if he wanted to I would warily maybe say yes.... maybe LOL.
    I don't see that many kids riding their bikes, but the ones I see are definitely older, like grade 5 or 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would let him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was 8 I was riding to the shops alone to pick up bread for mum. God how times have changed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think it sounds fine. I've started letting my 9 year old walk to and from school alone at times.
    It's hard not to feel anxious about it, but kids need to develop independence at some point.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all depends really...each family is different and each area is different. I won't allow mine to ride as its too far and too busy and my 8&7 yo's aren't experienced enough. But my 2 teens ride all over the suburbs.**** Rd rule knowledge is a must though...I can't emphasize that enough!****