Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    Fleetwood- you sound like a great mum, but as an educator I cannot assume that all children have high quality parenting. All I can do is give my best care when I have those children. If they receive great education and care at home that's excellent, but if I slack off and chuck on the tv, what about the children who don't have excellent quality care at home. I certainly don't want them missing out on any play based learning opportunity.

And you sound like a wonderful carer I don't want you to 'slack off and turn in the TV' either! I wasn't thinking that way in this thread at all, just an occasional dose of TV is not going to phase me one bit, I don't think it implies slacking off. I know how hard the carers work, they are absolutely great

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (01-12-2013),snowqu33n  (01-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Chucking the kids in front of the TV so the carers can relax and chill out is utterly irresponsible. The same goes if it's done so they can catch up on paperwork. Yes, there is a crapload of stuff to do and I don't think that most parents quite appreciate just how much there is. At the same time, it's the responsibility of the worker to schedule time for portfolios and planning, time that should definitely not involve turning on the TV as a distraction.

BUT I think that TV at daycare in itself is not a bad thing. TV can certainly be used as a tool for learning - it can even be used for fun. Half an hour of mindless TV once in a while is no big deal! Interactive watching with the carers, even better! Technology is an integral part of life and it definitely can be used as a teaching tool. Embrace it. Use it. Love it!

If it's happening regularly - say, every afternoon for no discernible reason even if it's nice and sunny outside to play - then there's definite cause for complaint. The occasional Wiggles or Dora episode, not so much.

(And EYLF is about 50% good idea in theory, 40% delusion and 10% ridiculous. But that's a discussion for another time!)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (01-12-2013),Ellewood  (01-12-2013),kriista  (01-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013),Tildy  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    The eylf is focused on identity, being connected to the world, wellbeing, being engaged in learning and communication. That's what I mean by "curriculum".

Your centres philosophy is based off the eylf.

http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.o...framework.html
    Thank you, and I truly love my daycare :-)

My boys are there 4 days a week because I work, they are happy, love their carers and sure learn as well. But TV still wouldn't bother me.

That's me though, and my kids, as with all parenting you have decide what is right for your family. A centre where 30 mins of TV might occur isn't a deal breaker for me, but might be for someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for all your replies. Will ask how long and how often the tv makes an appearance and will decide what to do from there. I surprised at how many daycares have and utilize tvs though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son goes to FDC and I know they don't watch it often, but they sometimes watch an episode of Dora or Roary or something. My DD also gets picked up from school by our FDC mum and if she is really tired after school the carer will set up a veg out corner for her near the TV, especially as I don't get there until 5.30

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know that it matters what you get paid (saying this as an educator!) you do that job for the love of it. I agree higher pay rates in line with school teachers (who in many cases have done the same amount of training) would be nice but it is definitely a love job and I don't believe that as educators we should use poor pay or conditions as an excuse for shortchanging children. As a parent I often chuck the tv on when I need to get something done, but when working inan early childhood setting I have other educators, resources and a child centric environment to support me, so the tv is simply not needed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eco Goddess For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They have a TV as DS2s daycare. I've only seen it in the room twice in two years. It doesn't bother me though. I guess I see my daycare as a minding service for him so that I can work rather than a place where I expect them to be engaging in activities constantly with no down time. I think as it's rarely used and I see all of the things he does in the day anyway - a little bit of TV doesn't bother me.

If he was at home he'd be watching A LOT more than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't see the big deal about 30 minutes of TV a day. Sometimes if you get a good TV show its more educational than 5 hours of kids playing in the sandpit.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    wow Id be so unimpressed I would consider changing daycare if that's a regular thing.

There are many betters ways to unwind quietly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I must add that I can't see any good with TV. It's an advertising device and don't fool ourself, most programs are just there to create available brain time.

Other screens though yes can be a great educational or recreational tool :-)