Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I just asked my daughter who is 5 what she has to do during rest time. She said they don't have to sit on a mat anymore but they do have to read a book quietly. I asked if they're allowed to do anything else and she said no.
    In her case the alternative could be resting on a mat if they are sleepy.
    Last edited by Tildy; 01-12-2013 at 10:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I like that the carers get that 30min or so a week where they can run around after my child while the kids are watching TV. In that time they write up the kids journals, put kids belongings in their bags so I don't have to run around at the end of the day and find missing socks, get invitations and notes ready for parents to collect etc. now that the new curriculum says children over the age of 4 don't need a daytime sleep, I am not sure where the poorly paid carers are expected to find the time to do all of these extra things while also teaching 25 kids for up to 12hrs a day - let alone having a break themselves. As a kid we weren't allowed TV and the only thing that came out of it is that in many social situations I was an outcast because I had no idea what my friends were talking about when they discussed the latest TV show etc.
    They get scheduled breaks and if they aren't getting them, then the centre is in the wrong, it's not up to the TV to amuse the kids so the teachers can have a break.

I was the same, raised with no TV and had no idea who the Power Rangers were when my school friends talked about them... I really don't see that as a good enough reason to let my kids watch TV. Especially as their school has specific guidelines around what they prefer their students to have in terms of screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    Which is brilliant in theory but the EYLF says we cant make kids stay on a bed, we must give them options. Add a couple of ASD kids and some with behavioural problems (most of which is undiagnosed so no funding for extra staff) and 3-4 staff isn't enough to maintain that and get the cleaning done as well as everyone having lunch.
    I don't know where you are, but my son who doesn't qualify for Disability Services and isn't diagnosed (yet) has a teacher aide funded for 4 hours a day, he shares her with another boy who has ASD. The centre organised this.

I think if you aren't able to get your job done, then you need to speak to your director.

This thread has really made me feel grateful that my kids are at such an amazing centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    They get scheduled breaks and if they aren't getting them, then the centre is in the wrong, it's not up to the TV to amuse the kids so the teachers can have a break.

I was the same, raised with no TV and had no idea who the Power Rangers were when my school friends talked about them... I really don't see that as a good enough reason to let my kids watch TV. Especially as their school has specific guidelines around what they prefer their students to have in terms of screen time.
    I meant breaks as in time out from teaching to do those other things like journal etc. We are talking about Childcare aren't we? Carers are paid so poorly, it seems some parents expect so much - poor kids.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (01-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or maybe your centre just hides it very well. Or your child's teacher spends time on her weekend making sure everything is done, unpaid.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mumofgremlins For This Useful Post:

jez  (03-12-2013),snowqu33n  (01-12-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (04-12-2013),Tildy  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant breaks as in time out from teaching to do those other things like journal etc. We are talking about Childcare aren't we? Carers are paid so poorly, it seems some parents expect so much - poor kids.
    Even if they were paid much better, I still wouldn't care if they put a TV program on occasionally. All this talk about education & learning, geebuz it's hard enough just getting a 3 year-old fed, rested, entertained and happy in a day. That eyld whatever thing I'm reading about here, kids should be getting all those criterion met in their own daily lives with family! An unhappy kid who isn't getting those crucial needs met at home will NOT flourish at kindy no matter what they do. I'm not saying I'm against it of course I'm not, but I just don't see that as daycare's job, I see it as mine. I see it as their job to care for DS while he is there and provide a nice, fun, caring environment, that's it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (01-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't know being paid poorly meant you should do a poor job?

I don't set their wages.

I get an email with journals, photos, eat/sleep/toilet charts every day, the centre is always very clean and tidy, they don't look run ragged, or stressed out.

Quote Originally Posted by mumofgremlins View Post
    Or maybe your centre just hides it very well. Or your child's teacher spends time on her weekend making sure everything is done, unpaid.
    Hides the TV?

No, she doesn't, she comes to my house for playdates and catch ups with her kids. She studies in her own time, but that's it, she's said many times she won't touch work outside of work, it's her family/study time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I get 3 hours programming every week where I do all my paper work. I also go to work early to get a few extra things done. If I'm prepared and organised then I don't have a problem.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (01-12-2013),MissMuppet  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Fleetwood- you sound like a great mum, but as an educator I cannot assume that all children have high quality parenting. All I can do is give my best care when I have those children. If they receive great education and care at home that's excellent, but if I slack off and chuck on the tv, what about the children who don't have excellent quality care at home. I certainly don't want them missing out on any play based learning opportunity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty surprised by people implying that because they get paid low wages it's ok to do an average job. Hope people like ambo's and nurses don't have the same philosophy!

I don't understand the "poor kids" comment at all. Why? I'm fine with TV at home. In fact I rely on it a lot! But I don't expect it at daycare. I certainly don't expect their to be active teaching all day! Far from it. I think play for the sake of play is very important.

I pay a shed load of money for my son to be looked after. And I don't mind as it's a really important job. I can't control what the centre pays their staff though, can I?

At my centre the teachers get time out of the rooms every day to do the folios and weekly planing which is put up on the wall each day. This is what should happen and I think it's awful if it doesn't happen elsewhere and the only thing the workers can do to get it done is to plonk the kids in front of the TV. As an employee I would be raising it, and as a parent I would be complaining to the Director.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (01-12-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (01-12-2013),smallpotatoes  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we are getting off track, I don't think any centre is 'plonking kids in front of TV', as I said I'm happy with the small weekly amount of TV (which is usually a documentary) at our Childcare centre. OP I hope you have been able to get some help from this thread.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast