Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive seen the tv on for the kids at my DD2's daycare but have only seen it on a dvd of some kiddy music group & the kids were dancing along

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Because the fees are $140 per day and I expect them to be engaged in activities and/or solo play or whatever, not watching TV.

They call themselves educators not babysitters!

Plus then I feel less guilty when he watches TV with me
    Yeah I get that, but it is such a long day for 4yr olds, I believe they need some 'zone out' time as well. Even solo creative play is tiring for them. I am more of the opinion that I am paying them to babysit while I work, whatever they learn is a bonus - I'm happy to leave learning for school and let them be kids for now. In saying that my 4 yr old can almost read so maybe I am a bit more leaning towards the side that I would like her to slow down a bit Thanks for replying.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (01-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would want to know for how long and how often.
    If it were raining, end of the day, used as a transition or at rest time for say 30 mins. I would be OK with it.
    While I am at work they are in care for 8.5 hours which is a long time in my mind to be engaged in play or learning, on home days with me they are allowed 2 x 30 minute slots of TV. I would be ok with a zone out time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (30-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I'm wondering why those that are so against an hour of TV a week at Childcare are really so against it? I'm not picking fights, I genuinely would like to know why?
    a) I don't let them watch TV at home, it's not good for them
    b) These are qualified teachers who are paid to be caring for my children, not babysitting

I don't think a TV is required to zone out, my 3yo pulled up a giant cushion at daycare last week, put in into a nice shady spot in the yard, brought out a stack of books and read them for the next 2 hours, because he was tired of interacting with people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (01-12-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    a) I don't let them watch TV at home, it's not good for them
    b) These are qualified teachers who are paid to be caring for my children, not babysitting
    I don't think that educating/caring and screen time are necessarily mutually exclusive. IMO it is possible that watching a program can be educational and/or ok for the kids to have a bit of down time. But I also allow my daughter to watch tv daily and I don't regard that she has suffered any for it.

Some of the responses read more like people are begrudging the workers perceived slacking off than the actual watching of a program.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-12-2013),Gandalf  (01-12-2013),MummaOJ  (01-12-2013),snowqu33n  (01-12-2013)

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I became director of my previous centre one of the first things I did was donate the tvs to the salvo's. My thinking was that children have enough screen time (in most cases) and I had a centre full of qualified people whose job it was to be engaging the children in other experiences. I agree that children need down time but this can be in the form of yoga (which most littlies LOVE) or a story or even just quiet play. We used to take our kids outside in the afternoon and lay on the grass and cloud watch! If it were for "educational purposes" we had a laptop that we could watch DVDs on - for example we had some children fascinated by ballet and we found some videos online which they watched for about 15mins to give them some "ideas for moves"

If I walked in to pick up my son and they were watching a movie/tv I would be thoroughly annoyed (unless it was raining, but even then these people have training to engage children!)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eco Goddess For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (01-12-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (01-12-2013),kw123  (01-12-2013),Mamasupial  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I wouldn't care one iota if they occasionally put a TV on at daycare. It's not a big deal to me at all. DS watches TV at home and I do not have n issue with TV in general at all! He gets stacks of exercise, heaps of outdoors time, we read a lot and he does ll these things plus other activities at kindy too so I'm not worried about a bit of TV. Actually, he watches heaps of TV compared to many others, yet he is extremely bright. I don't buy the TV is detrimental thing at all, unless of course he is missing out on other stuff, which as his parent I know he is not.

Those surveys they hand out to parents quarterly, with all the questions about what you want your child to get out of daycare etc etc. I just write 'to have fun, play, have a good and stable experience and feel safe and cared for'. It's daycare, he is only 3, it's meant to be fun, a bit of TV every now and then won't kill that! I would never take him out of daycare to another over a but of TV - he would have to start over, settle in with new carers, say goodbye to all his friends, no way!

ETA I have only ever seen a TV on at his daycare once in 2.5 years!
    Last edited by Ellewood; 01-12-2013 at 05:51.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-12-2013),DailyDiversion  (01-12-2013),jez  (03-12-2013),Purple Lily  (01-12-2013),snowqu33n  (01-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2013),starla  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no issue. As long as they are happy and having fun I couldn't care one bit.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

jez  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im surprised people are so against it. It literally could have been 20 mins. If they are in daycare all day, 5 days a week then a an hour or so during that week of tv is nothing.

I thought it would be common practice to watch at least some tv in a daycare? As long as its age appropriate and educational in some way?

After all, dont they get screen time in school? And thats not a babysitting service but an educational program too?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm against it as a kindy teacher as it's against everything the "curriculum" is about. I know it would be an easy down time activity but put simply, it doesn't look great for those educators. It makes them seem lazy and obviously not up to date with all the recent professional reading and studies. They should never be too busy to calm children down an interact with them. The children should always come first. Older age groups are easier to play large group games with. Even if it has been raining for a week, they could play musical chairs, freeze etc inside.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast