Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a bit torn on this too, I've noticed if I pick DD up at 5 (normally 4.30 latest) they are all sitting on the mat watching something on the carers iPod. I've been tossing up whether or not to say anything but then I think by 5pm and it's cold and windy I could possibly understand putting it on. Still at a $110 a day I'm not sure I'm really happy about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would depend how it was used.

I've worked in a few, one never used tvs, except on the final week before xmas as a treat, but it was on in the room that had all normal things going on too. So children had the choice to chill or play with blocks, playdough, read, it was usually something to just watch, then something active like the wiggles, hi-5 etc and would swap between active/quiet.

my most recent was a centre that used one daily. It was used for playschool, as a transition/wind down from coming inside for the afternoon, usually at a time where there were some parents arriving, nappies being changed, afternoon tea, kids waking up... There were other activities but usually 90% of kids watched the t.v. But out also got abused in that once there were only a few children left, staff would put it on and sit the kids there...

I'm still unsure how I feel about it, even having left there a few years ago...as a parent id probably wonder what % of my fees was being used for staff wages and what they were doing while my ds was plonked there....

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm all for a bit of TV at home for my daughter while I'm trying to get my housework done or look after my 4 month old, but at Day Care when they are paid to look after the children and there's plenty of them there is not on.

I really don't think there's any excuse. Maybe the centre should hire another worker for that room if they need a break from the kids so bad.

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OMG no,I woudnt be happy with daycare AT ALL!!! I don't even think my daycare has one.I asked my ds2 if he watched Melbourne Cup at kindy and he looked at me like I was cray cray I don't pay good money for them to watch TV.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a daycare centre and yes we do put the tv on abc every now and then. Sometimes we put it on during rest time for the children who don't sleep. It provides some wind down time for their little bodies to relax. We don't do this everyday and when we do it is on for no longer than 20 minutes or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There isn't even a tv in my sons room. I'll be curious to look in the older room next week to see if they have, but I've never noticed.

At $100 a day, I'd be peeved if they were watching TV. Absolutely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD gets to watch TV at daycare, once a week they put an animal documentary on for quiet time (especially if it is very hot outside). I'm fine with it, she loves it and learns from those shows, and I believe kids need down time too (she doesn't sleep in the day).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 is in the Kindy room and they are allowed up to 2 hours a week, they normally would use it for wind down before the kids go to family grouping. Since the weather got better I haven't seen them use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD's daycare doesn't have a tv...I don't think daycare is the place for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But what about reading to the kids for downtime?

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby