+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety/ Panic attacks

How do you cope?

I've suffered from health anxiety for some time now, the physical symptoms are terrifying. Light headed, tingling sensation all over my face and head.

Every time something happens to me I freak out and start thinking the worst. This week I had a blood clot in my leg, it thankfully wasn't DVT, is was on the superficial vein (something like that) that just meant I needed to take anti inflammatory.

This happened on Tuesday and ever since I'm worried about clots, it's driving me nuts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing...I have health anxiety too. It's at it's worst now that I'm pregnant. Day to day before that I used to cope by steering clear of google, any medical programs and telling my partner/family/friends right away if I was thinking something was worse than what it probably was. Them laughing or saying don't be silly early on actually helped a lot. I am waiting to see a psych at the moment for some strategies to help during pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's such a horrible feeling. Mine started due to the work I was doing, life insurance. Reading medical report all day about cancers, terminal illness I started to convince myself I had the dams symptoms.

I've made an appointment to see my doctor today, I think it's time I started meds.

Hope your pregnancy runs smoothly and the psych helps you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have general anxiety disorder and I suffer from panic attacks, especially if I am driving, stopped at a red light. :-( I feel shaky, out of breath, light -headed. I thought I was having a heart attack the first time I ever had one. I learnt to just breath deeply, exhale the negative thoughts. If I am driving. I pull over safely and wait until I've overcome the attack.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luminary For This Useful Post:

May baby  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have anxiety in general, but its very manageable and I have learned how to cope well with it. But at the moment i am not coping well with it as I am in a situation right now where I have a mentally ill neighbor who has been threatening DS and I, and trying to force her way into my house to 'get at me' with DS in the house too.... I have applied for a Interim intervention order, but my anxiety has been through the roof. I got no sleep last night, up all night feeling very nauseous, diarrhea, and i kept fighting off the panic attack. It followed on all day today, i went to work but only lasted 3 hours and then had to get sent home as I was a complete mess. Shallow breathing, light headed, eyes rolling in the back of my head, felt like someone was squeezing my insides with their hands.... nauseous. Highly emotional.

I hope something hasn't snapped in me now and I will be stuck with this forever! The valium has made me feel better pretty fast though tonight... and I only took half.

I feel for those who suffer anxiety to this level all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by May baby View Post
    How do you cope?

I've suffered from health anxiety for some time now, the physical symptoms are terrifying. Light headed, tingling sensation all over my face and head.

Every time something happens to me I freak out and start thinking the worst. This week I had a blood clot in my leg, it thankfully wasn't DVT, is was on the superficial vein (something like that) that just meant I needed to take anti inflammatory.

This happened on Tuesday and ever since I'm worried about clots, it's driving me nuts!
    I have GAD and my trigger was health related. Well mental health to be exact. I'd watched a program on bipolar and was convinced that I had the ability to 'snap'. It took me a long time to over come it properly and I still have mild triggers but I've been off medication for over 3 years.

I find when my stress levels rise so does my anxiety and at the moment I seem to be fighting off that nauseous feeling daily. I'm worrying constantly about non issues. I can talk myself around and use a lot of cognitive therapy but I've stopped exercising and I can see a direct correlation in me with cease of activity and an increase in anxiety.

So I cope by busying myself, redirecting thought patterns and I'll endeavour to exercise again to help promote my serotonin function which has obviously depleted due to recent financial stressing on my behalf.

I thought I'd nipped it in the bud a couple of years ago. This is the first time in 3 years it's really affected me (didn't even have any anxiety issues through my separation).

It's a horrible feeling! I hope you can find some success in ridding yourself of it xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety/ Panic attacks

I have anxiety and it comes and goes for me. Lately it's been causing me problems - had an episode of panic tonight
    My triggers seem to be heat, dehydration, caffeine & tiredness. I manage it by avoiding caffeine as much as possible, getting enough sleep & drinking lots of icy cold drinks. This heat wave has really stirred me up but hopefully it will settle now. Summer is always my worst time of year for anxiety.
    Psychology also helped a lot - cognitive behavioural therapy.