+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    From what the op said she has seen what her friend has given the child food and drink wise so she can judge. I would think he mother is probably embarrassed about her sons teeth and that's why she is telling people she has not given him too much sugar to make people think she has done the right thing. And not thinking she needs to brush her child's teeth at night.... I would say there is a good chance that the none brushing and bad eating habits have contributed to her child's teeth problems even if there was to be an underlying issue.
    If she's embarrassed though, why would she put it on Facebook at all?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah maybe this is the reality check she needed.

She feels bad and she got her son help. Everyone makes mistakes and hopefully she will learn from it. The dentist would have told her what caused it so if she doesnt wanna be honest on facebook she at least now should have some education on oral hygiene

Why are you friends with her on facebook if you dislike her to the point of judging and making forum posts about her?

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son had dental work under GA recently. He's 5. He had an extraction, two mini root canals and then crowns (whole tooth coated in stainless steel) on those same teeth, and two small filling between his front teeth, plus fissure seals for prevention of future issues.

It cost $2000 out of pocket and was distressing as he had to fast, go under GA, we had to take the day off work and be at the hospital for most of it. Not something to be taken lightly, but they have their molars til 10 or 11 so we had to save them.

He doesn't have sugary drinks, and has been having dental check ups since 3.

However, he had some extreme defiance issues between 2.5 - 3, and the brushing was neglected as he would fight.

It was a combination of bad tooth design and not enough brushing and flossing.

If I had my time over, I would have been militant with the brushing despite his behaviour. He is still difficult, and sometimes I have to hold him down while his spits toothpaste in my face, pinches, kicks, screams at me. Although that is fairly rare now.

I think there is some stereotype that it's bogan families who put coke in their baby bottle with dental problems. From talking to other families and my observations from that long day at the hospital, it's just normal families with various circumstances who are trying to fix their kids' teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my 3 yr old had his 2 front teeth pulled. id tell you why but its not really any of your business- just like its really non of your business why your friends kid dosnt have 2 of his teeth, nor does it really matter in the scheme of things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maximum22 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum22 View Post
    my 3 yr old had his 2 front teeth pulled. id tell you why but its not really any of your business - just like its really non of your business why your friends kid dosnt have 2 of his teeth, nor does it really matter in the scheme of things.
    This!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've found this thread very enlightening. If I'm honest in the OPs situation I would have thought poor dental hygiene/excess sugar was the sole reason for a preschooler requiring dental work. I wouldn't have judged as such, just made the assumption that it was the parents choices that caused the issues.

I'm glad I've read this thread as it's reminded me again to never assume.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Previous medications can cause dental issues for children I have been told.

Some children are also just more prone to dental issues, regardless of what happens at home or with their diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister had to go under a GA at 2 to have lots of fillings done.
    She never had a bottle as a baby, never had juice or soft drink, always had her teeth cleaned well before bed. The dentist said it was a result of my mothers low calcium levels in pregnancy.
    The same sister is 28 now and doesn't have a single filling in her adult teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    DS had a tooth extracted and fillings under GA when he was 4. Turned out he has 8 teeth with unusual grooves that made brushing ineffective. The one tooth was extracted instead of filled as his teeth are also very very crowded on the top, and the removal of that tooth has made it possible to floss now. They have been sealed and we haven't had an issue in the 3 years since. I have two other children aged 5 and 8 and they haven't had a filling in their lives and dentists always comment on how beautiful their teeth are.

If somebody insinuated that I'm a sh!tty mum and I feed my kids sugary crap and never brush their teeth all based on my son having a tooth extracted I would probably tell them to f@ck off

Yep my DS is the same, he has very deep grooves in his teeth. He had to have a filling when he was 4 and the dentist made us aware he would be prone to cavities so we have now taken a pro active approach he has an electric toothbrush has a quick check up 3-4 times a year and so,far no further problems. Please don't judge, it happens!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, teeth aren't as simple as many think. My BIL had every single baby tooth in his mouth capped as a young child and yet my parent in laws were vigilant about brushing, flossing, diet etc... DH and his other brother had no issues at all.