+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If at 5-6 years of age I had the option of removing a front tooth or filling it I would probably just remove it- it's going to fall out in a year max anyway and the cost and trauma of filling it when it will be home shortly seems crazy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have decay prone teeth, meaning my teeth decay from the inside out. No matter how well I take care of them on the outside, they could be decaying on the inside and I wouldn't even know unless I had an X-ray. Thankfully I haven't had any of them disintegrate yet but my dentist advised me that it's possible. No one is to blame for this, it's just how I am! My point is, there are any number of reasons why this child had to have their tooth out, I don't know why it needs to be anyone's fault...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i used to work with a paediatric dentist who used to bring in very young children to have teeth taken out. Baby teeth can get damaged for many reasons. 1 common one is sending children to bed with bottles of juice the bacteria left in the mouth overnight is bad. Certain antibiotics are very harsh on childrens teeth and can make them crumble. We also had 2 kids have issues with teeth from drinking straight lemon juice as it is too harsh for baby teeth due to lack of adult enamel. Most times its just accidental things that happen parents dont set out to cause dental issues with their kids. I on the other hand was really annoyed i still had some baby teeth at age 17 that would not fall out and had to be pulled out with much effort.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblermummy View Post
    i used to work with a paediatric dentist who used to bring in very young children to have teeth taken out. Baby teeth can get damaged for many reasons. 1 common one is sending children to bed with bottles of juice the bacteria left in the mouth overnight is bad. Certain antibiotics are very harsh on childrens teeth and can make them crumble. We also had 2 kids have issues with teeth from drinking straight lemon juice as it is too harsh for baby teeth due to lack of adult enamel. Most times its just accidental things that happen parents dont set out to cause dental issues with their kids. I on the other hand was really annoyed i still had some baby teeth at age 17 that would not fall out and had to be pulled out with much effort.

Thankyou for answering my questions wobblermummy! I'g glad you took the time to discuss other reasons why children may have tooth decay. Very interesting to read!
    The same happened to my sister, she had a crowded mouth and still had baby teeth as an adult that in the end were sergicallly removed to allow space for her adult teeth to move into place with bracers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

wobblermummy  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Lol I'm 24 with a baby tooth still... And at 17 still had 4! Only 2 have been pulled out and the other fell out when I was 18-19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    36 still with a baby tooth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what the op said she has seen what her friend has given the child food and drink wise so she can judge. I would think he mother is probably embarrassed about her sons teeth and that's why she is telling people she has not given him too much sugar to make people think she has done the right thing. And not thinking she needs to brush her child's teeth at night.... I would say there is a good chance that the none brushing and bad eating habits have contributed to her child's teeth problems even if there was to be an underlying issue.

My ds's friend has too much acidity and she has aweful teeth as a result so sometimes there may be underlying issues but I believe a lot of issues with children's teeth are the result of them not being looked after and having too much sugar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had 6 of them they all had roots the size of adult teeth though. They only came out as i had no room in my mouth, there were no adult teeth under them either luckily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

My middle son has marks on his teeth which the dentist told me is most likely caused by the antibiotics he had to have for an extended period of time as a toddler.

My oldest has over calcification I think its called? The dentist last week said it actually happens when his teeth were developing when I was pregnant... and could have been caused by medication I was on? I have been questioned by people aboit it and been made to feel awful like I caused it, but he brushes twice a day, we floss at night, he's never had soft drink or cordial, an occasional juice though. It really isnt a nice feeling being judged for it though.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a hard thing as some medications will do it to some kids and not to others it really is a luck of the draw. I was on antibiotics regularly from a few months old i had persistent severe chest and ear infections till i was about 6 i was my parents problem child but turned out ok. I had a few fillings but not till about 12 yrs. My sister had the same diet was never a sick baby or child like me and had fillings from about 7-8 yrs.