+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5year old getting their teeth pulled out? o.O

So theres someone I'm acquaintances with, but we used to be friends for 15 years until a year ago. She's posted on Facebook (I know, here we go! another FB judging thread) that her child who is 5 has had to go to the dental hospital in severe pain, which has turned out to be holes in their teeth. Apparently the child has to have two fillings and two teeth pulled out? I thought this was a pretty extreme thing to do to a child that just has holes in their teeth? I also though it was more of a common practise that was done frequently in the past but not so much now with dental advances in the past 30 years?

Yesterday she was saying how bad she feels and that she barely gave her child anything sugary and always got him to brush his teeth. I know she never brushed his teeth at night when I was friends with her (she believes that you dont need to at night, her words) and she also was always giving sugary drinks and food like lollies etc since they was about 18 months old.

Now, I'm trying my best not to put my judgy pants on as I know this must be really hurting her seeing her son like this, but really, a child that needs to get teeth pulled out at the age of 5? I understand needing fillings as most kids will need them eventually to prevent more decay, but surely theres more to it than shes leading on? I feel really bad for her child but I don't really feel bad for her, shes the adult, she fed him and buys him food and drink (which I know is mean, but true) because she must have known giving her child heaps of crap from such a young age wasnt going to do good to his teeth?

Is this common for children to have their teeth pulled out, this is the second child under 10 whos had to have teeth pulled out that I know of this year!
    Or was I lucky growing up to just only get away with fillings? Also will the childs adult teeth grow through even though their baby teeth have been removed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My step daughter had 2 teeth pulled and 1 filling in prep (so 5- 6 years old). Sadly I work in a hospital and we see lots of kids now with dental problems

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS had a tooth extracted and fillings under GA when he was 4. Turned out he has 8 teeth with unusual grooves that made brushing ineffective. The one tooth was extracted instead of filled as his teeth are also very very crowded on the top, and the removal of that tooth has made it possible to floss now. They have been sealed and we haven't had an issue in the 3 years since. I have two other children aged 5 and 8 and they haven't had a filling in their lives and dentists always comment on how beautiful their teeth are.

If somebody insinuated that I'm a sh!tty mum and I feed my kids sugary crap and never brush their teeth all based on my son having a tooth extracted I would probably tell them to f@ck off

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-11-2013),lovelymum  (28-11-2013),madreader  (28-11-2013),Miss Salty  (29-11-2013),mummytomy2boysxxx  (28-11-2013),NancyBlackett  (28-11-2013),PaulsParadigm  (28-11-2013),sweetpeamummy  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my step grand daughter 3 had her 2 front teeth taken out 2 crowns and 4 fillings and she is 3 !! I was horrified but then her mother gives her cordial, milk and milo, soft drink since she was a baby so what do you expect... I was in total shock... she had to have a general anasetic ( sp is wrong) and was in pain...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Please don't judge them.

Just last week we spent $2100 on 7yo DD's teeth. She has a good, well balanced, healthy diet, brushes her teeth twice a day, and drinks mostly water, the very rare sugary drink.

She had very badly damaged molars. Four of them. One in each corner of her mouth. She underwent a general anaesthetic so the dentist could get in and fix them. Three of them needed to be filled, the fourth was touch and go on whether it would be filled or pulled - it was filled, but still may not survive.

My DD, as it turns out, has a condition where she has no enamel on her teeth. Nothing we could have done would have prevented it. She can go from having a small pit in her tooth, to a massive hole in a matter of weeks, regardless of oral hygiene practices.

Now that we know this, we need to be hyper vigilant so things can be fixed ASAP.

You really just do not know what is going on in that kids mouth. And it is wrong to judge and blame the parents.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (28-11-2013),Caviar  (01-12-2013),madreader  (28-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (28-11-2013),Pina Colada  (28-11-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post
    So theres someone I'm acquaintances with, but we used to be friends for 15 years until a year ago. She's posted on Facebook (I know, here we go! another FB judging thread) that her child who is 5 has had to go to the dental hospital in severe pain, which has turned out to be holes in their teeth. Apparently the child has to have two fillings and two teeth pulled out? I thought this was a pretty extreme thing to do to a child that just has holes in their teeth? I also though it was more of a common practise that was done frequently in the past but not so much now with dental advances in the past 30 years?

Yesterday she was saying how bad she feels and that she barely gave her child anything sugary and always got him to brush his teeth. I know she never brushed his teeth at night when I was friends with her (she believes that you dont need to at night, her words) and she also was always giving sugary drinks and food like lollies etc since they was about 18 months old.

Now, I'm trying my best not to put my judgy pants on as I know this must be really hurting her seeing her son like this, but really, a child that needs to get teeth pulled out at the age of 5? I understand needing fillings as most kids will need them eventually to prevent more decay, but surely theres more to it than shes leading on? I feel really bad for her child but I don't really feel bad for her, shes the adult, she fed him and buys him food and drink (which I know is mean, but true) because she must have known giving her child heaps of crap from such a young age wasnt going to do good to his teeth?

Is this common for children to have their teeth pulled out, this is the second child under 10 whos had to have teeth pulled out that I know of this year!
    Or was I lucky growing up to just only get away with fillings? Also will the childs adult teeth grow through even though their baby teeth have been removed?
    I think your judgey pants are not only on but well and truly hitched up.

In fact you may have a wedgie.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 28-11-2013 at 18:48.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (28-11-2013),babyla  (28-11-2013),bunkx  (28-11-2013),Donnab739  (28-11-2013),JR03  (28-11-2013),kriista  (28-11-2013),madreader  (28-11-2013),Maximum22  (28-11-2013),misskittyfantastico  (28-11-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (28-11-2013),mummytomy2boysxxx  (28-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (28-11-2013),Pina Colada  (28-11-2013),Purple Lily  (28-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-11-2013),The Time Has Come  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    DS had a tooth extracted and fillings under GA when he was 4. Turned out he has 8 teeth with unusual grooves that made brushing ineffective. The one tooth was extracted instead of filled as his teeth are also very very crowded on the top, and the removal of that tooth has made it possible to floss now. They have been sealed and we haven't had an issue in the 3 years since. I have two other children aged 5 and 8 and they haven't had a filling in their lives and dentists always comment on how beautiful their teeth are.

If somebody insinuated that I'm a sh!tty mum and I feed my kids sugary crap and never brush their teeth all based on my son having a tooth extracted I would probably tell them to f@ck off
    I too have the same issue with my teeth that your son has but they have all been filled with fillings instead of having teeth taken out. Sorry if I offended you. But thers a difference in assuming and actually seeing her buy and give her child coke and lollies and alike from 18 months old, and stating that they dont brush their childs teeth at night, BIG difference!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He had to have fillings under GA anyway as our dentist doesn't do ANY fillings in the chair for children under a certain age - for their own comfort. The tooth was extracted to create space, and his other teeth have spread nicely.

I would also understand if a baby tooth was extracted as a cheaper alternative to a complex filling, given it is a baby tooth and will fall out anyway!

Your post did seem to read that if a child has a tooth extracted and the mother is saying they don't have sugary foods and drinks and brush regularly then there must be more to the story then the mother is letting on.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 28-11-2013 at 18:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Please don't judge them.

Just last week we spent $2100 on 7yo DD's teeth. She has a good, well balanced, healthy diet, brushes her teeth twice a day, and drinks mostly water, the very rare sugary drink.

She had very badly damaged molars. Four of them. One in each corner of her mouth. She underwent a general anaesthetic so the dentist could get in and fix them. Three of them needed to be filled, the fourth was touch and go on whether it would be filled or pulled - it was filled, but still may not survive.

My DD, as it turns out, has a condition where she has no enamel on her teeth. Nothing we could have done would have prevented it. She can go from having a small pit in her tooth, to a massive hole in a matter of weeks, regardless of oral hygiene practices.

Now that we know this, we need to be hyper vigilant so things can be fixed ASAP.

You really just do not know what is going on in that kids mouth. And it is wrong to judge and blame the parents.
    I'm sorry thats happened to your DD. But I'm sure not every child will have that issue with their teeth and your childs condition isn't a common one. Also, I'm not judging, I'm wondering and was asking questions about it? I may across as blunt but I'm not good with words on here I guess?

Say for an example, the child has no issue with deep grooves in their teeth and has a good amount of enamel on their teeth, and they end up with needing a whole mouth full of filling and needing their teeth to be pulled out at a young age (not due to a crowded mouth either which can is common!), who is to blame? something has to be....it's certainly not the childs fault! They didn't buy them food and drink from a young age that does destroy teeth in the long term and is slack with their teeth brushing?

As a parent someone need to take responsibility for their childrens hygine and health, that does include what they feed them on a regular basis, just as the same goes with childhood obesity, you cant say "oh, there MUST be a problem with the child, maybe genetics?" Chances are they have a poor diet and low physical activity. It's not judging its just most likely whats happened over time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    He had to have fillings under GA anyway as our dentist doesn't do ANY fillings in the chair for children under a certain age - for their own comfort. The tooth was extracted to create space, and his other teeth have spread nicely.

I would also understand if a baby tooth was extracted as a cheaper alternative to a complex filling, given it is a baby tooth and will fall out anyway!

Your post did seem to read that if a child has a tooth extracted and the mother is saying they don't have sugary foods and drinks and brush regularly then there must be more to the story then the mother is letting on.
    Yeah I would have guessed that they were creating space with a damaged tooth due to have a crowded mouth for when he's older, theres nothing wrong with that!.

What I meant by being more to it than that is by what I've seen since her child was very little she did egurally give him food and drink that wasn't particularly healthy. He was great at eating meat and veg, but apart from that didn't have the best diet for a toddler. For EG every time Id see them on at least a weekly basis he would share a bottle of coke with her (orgional, not cocke zero, but thats still bad). Always ate chips and lollies, junk like that. I understand its what I just saw and he does eat good food, but a high amount of food that really wasnt healthy for him let alone his teeth. I was around them a lot, they practically lived with us for a while. What I meant by leading on was she thought that he barely ate anything sugary when in my eyes was a sh!tload of food that wasnt suitable for a young one. My DS does have treats once in a while but not every day in between meals.