+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you think...worth it?

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've taken the year off work, except a few casual jobs here and there, to see what it was like to be a fullltime mum and pursue some other things. Worked FT for most of my kids' formative years. However- I had a partner then and I don't now...BUT I need to get back into regular employment.

I've been looking around and received so many job offers that I couldn't take because of hours- initially when I split with ex he used to still take the kids on a lot of days while I was in my old job, but now he hardly sees them at all. I have no other form of backup (family etc) to help, so I'm a bit stuck...the kids are in school/daycare but it's proving hard to find anything in the hours I need.

Is it worth paying someone to cover the outside-school-hours just so I can work again in a job I want? I'm getting tired. I just want to take a position and get back into it. I'm sick of saying no, sorry, I can't start early in the morning, I can't stay back any later than 4. I'm not in a highly paid industry, can't really afford to pay someone but for a few hours a day, maybe it would be worth it just to feel I have some control over my own life, that I'm not totally at the whim of my ex's schedule and lack of support with the kids.

Has anyone decided to do this even though they couldn't really afford it? Worth it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What hours would you be working?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm mainly stuck for early morning starts...the earliest I could get anywhere after drop-offs etc would be about 9/9.30 but most places want an 8 or 7am start...I'm looking at hospitality at the moment as I need something flexible...the jobs in my other skill area, that I used to work in, so far have all required evening and weekend work All the hours I can't do!! I clearly didn't factor having kids into the equation when I picked a career!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS's before school care starts at 7am and DD's daycare starts at 6:30am...have you investigated those options?

I work from 9am to 5:30pm five days a week, but theoretically I could start earlier (glad I don't). Otherwise have you contacted nanny agencies to see what they could offer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah...my before school options don't start quite that early, a bit odd actually as we live in the city...might try the nanny thing. Not sure about the cost, but even just a few hours' cover in the morning would mean I could work several full day shifts...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would you consider an au pair type thing... Where a student comes in for 3 months I think, and in return for meals and accommodation they give 'x' amount of child care and house duties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How about a retired person? I'm currently interviewing retirees that want a bit extra money for 4-6hrs a week babysitting. Mainly minding kids at home then walking them to daycare. Also to be avail for the odd afternoon pick up if I'm stuck at work.

The hours I'm looking for are 5.30am-7.30am mostly. Its going ok... Most of them are asking 15-20/hr for minding my 3&1yo.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look into in home care- it attracts CCR and CCB and is available to parents who due to shift work can't access regular child care options (or larger families)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a great idea RoseAurelia...I thought maybe an older person wouldn't mind the early mornings and short hours. How/where are you finding yours?

An au pair would be awesome but unfortunately out of the question due to space constraints! I'm barely squeezing my little family into our home...

This home care thing, is that like getting a nanny that's registered as a carer with the FAO? Or something else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSister View Post
    That's a great idea RoseAurelia...I thought maybe an older person wouldn't mind the early mornings and short hours. How/where are you finding yours?

An au pair would be awesome but unfortunately out of the question due to space constraints! I'm barely squeezing my little family into our home...

This home care thing, is that like getting a nanny that's registered as a carer with the FAO? Or something else?
    I put an add up at my local church noticeboard. We attend playgroup there so getting a fair bit of feedback.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app