+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Vent thread

So I'm a new first time mum. I appreciate that everyone has their own parenting styles and what ever works you, works for you but I've just had a friend give me a 20 min lecture about making a rod for my own back and I'll "learn the hard way" because I don't let my 4 week old cry, I'd rather wear her around the house to get stuff done than have her scream herself into a state.
    He did has three kids and the first of three he 'spoilt' while the second two he let scream... Good for you, I'm glad you found what works for your family ( I totally disagree with your method but if never say it as they are your kids) but I'm not wrong in wanting my child to feel her mum is there for her all the time, my parenting is just different to yours....
    Aaarrrgggghhhhh I appreciate that he thought he was giving me useful advice but my baby, my rules thanks. I don't need a lecture and to be told I'm wrong. What is with some people?!
    Rant over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    *sigh*

Once you become pregnant and have a baby everybody has an opinion that they just have to share with you.... It's like an irritating law!

I had the 'rod for your back lecture' with each child I had. I was happy with how I wanted to parent my children so I more or less just rolled my eyes. No rods were built! The two high maintenance bubs stayed high maintenance, the two low maintenance stayed low maintenance all with the same parenting

Raise you bub in a way that feels right for you, I could never let a 4 week old bub cry with no comfort.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You only get newborn cuddles/snuggles for a limited time. Enjoy them whilst you can. When you are ready to let her cry you'll know. She might be 2 months or 2 years, your decision no one else's. x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup a single child free friend told me my children had completely put her off the idea of parenting and if I'd just smack them they would go to sleep without mucking around. Thank god I put her off the idea as I'm sure smacking kids isn't going to help them settle..... (each to their own on smacking for bad/dangerous behaviour)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    Yup a single child free friend told me my children had completely put her off the idea of parenting and if I'd just smack them they would go to sleep without mucking around. Thank god I put her off the idea as I'm sure smacking kids isn't going to help them settle..... (each to their own on smacking for bad/dangerous behaviour)
    Isn't that an oxymoron? Smacking a child will settle it?
    It's like fixing a broken arm with a hammer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    Oh the childless ones are the best arent they.

Op, you seem to have the right attitude and realise that we all parent differently so just ignore the advice that makes you cringe! And just for the record I agree. I dont like ignoring my almost 3 year old or 7 month old... let alone a newbie!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't baby wear around the house or hold baby while their asleep - unless sick etc. I don't keep checking on them every two minutes Etc etc etc but any body with half a brain would know a four week old, any baby of any age, any child needs reassurance and comfort! Why did we have kids? I am mocked by a couple who have older kids on how I don't let their 11 year old look after my one year olds in the front yard of their place "let's sit on the back deck and have a coffee my daughter will watch your kids" they were 3 and 1 at the time when I declined they ranted about it for an hour- child neglect have they heard of it