+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth Plan for elective C-Section?

Two weeks ago I went to my routine midwife appointment but my midwife was so far behind that I had to see another one. She asked if I'd done a birth plan for my elective c-section, I said no and didn't realise I needed too. She wants me to do one in consultation with my ob, who I was supposed to see on Tuesday but he was off sick and I ended up seeing a physician instead (if there were obstetric concerns I would have been seen by the only ob on duty) but he didn't think the birth plan was important enough for the ob to see me that day.

I didn't do one with DS so not even sure what to put in one. The midwife wants it back on Tuesday but I don't see my ob again till the following Tuesday. So I've pretty much been left to figure it out.

These are the things that I want/don't want, is this what they mean by birth plan?:

* No staples - I do not want under any circumstances the ob to use staples to close me up.

* Spinal - no epi (anaesthetist said it won't work due to excessive scar tissue in my lower back) & avoid GA unless there's no other choice (e.g.: if I develop HELLP again).

* Skin to skin contact after they clean bubs up, even if I am under GA I want the skin to skin.

* I want bubs to stay with me in recovery (not sure if this is even an option).

Is there anything else I should be considering?

The ob that I have seen the most of (who was sick on Tuesday) is not the ob that will be doing the c-section. The ob that will be doing it doesn't do the consults in the clinic so I won't meet them until I'm wheeled in for the c-section (I don't even know their name).

ETA: C-section is booked for 19th Dec unless HELLP shows up then it will be immediately upon diagnosis.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following for ideas, but I have a couple:

Do you want any delayed cord clamping? Quiet in the room or music playing?

DH to cut the cord? Do you want to be able to pull the baby up & over the screen etc?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would you like your midwife (or someone else) to take photos for you?
    sounds weird I know but our midwife took the most amazing photos of DD's birth which I really treasure, especially as it all happened behind a screen and I didn't get to see it. It really helped me feel like I had given birth rather than had a 'baby operation', I hope that makes sense

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree on the photos - we had an amazing nurse take photos for us and they're wonderful. I had totally forgotten about the camera as a I got my spinal but the nurse (who was male) asked if we'd like him to get some baby photos - so glad he did!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (12-12-2013),VicPark  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an emergency csect so kinda different... I had no plan.

but....

df got to cut the cord (once they had already cut it)
    bub stayed with me -once he was clean he was in my arms.
    we tried skin to skin while I was being closed up but I was laying on the gown wrong so we waited until we got to recovery
    They showed us bub over the curtain.
    I had someone explaining the whole process to me which I found priceless. What they were doing, what I may feel/hear, what would come next etc. it really helped keep me calm.
    They had a radio quietly

We didn't get many photos though, which I'm sad about now. But I guess that was my fault. I took a fully charged camera...but left the memory card in the car! So there was only 2 photos, of ds. would have loved to have had some of our very first cuddles! The ones we have are from when he was about an hour old.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These were my "birth preferences" for my planned c-section:

* DH to stay with me the whole time if possible, and for DH and DD to stay with me in recovery (DH and DD stayed with me in recovery the whole time, so this is definitely possible)

* Sutures not staples (my OB laughed at this and said she never uses staples)

* If DD was ok, I wanted her to stay with me at all times. If DD had to go somewhere without me, then DH was to go with her

* Skin to skin contact as soon as possible

* First attempt at breastfeeding ASAP (they did this as soon as I was in recovery and the midwives even hand expressed for me to make sure DD got as much colostrum as possible)

* Vitamin K injection to be given

* Family photo to be taken immediately (i.e in the operating theater)

* DH to cut the cord (they have to cut it during the delivery but they left a bit for DH to cut)

* No sedatives after birth if possible (this wasn't possible)

* I wanted to be up and about ASAP after birth

* Catheter inserted after spinal block

* Photos to be taken during the birth and in recovery

Most of this was not only possible, but standard practice for my OB/hospital. I discussed these with my OB in advance and was really happy I knew what to expect. It also helped DH feel like we had a rough plan. For me, DD was briefly taken away after birth (I wasn't well) and DH knew that the plan was for him to go with her and not me, which made him feel much better than making that decision on the spot.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (12-12-2013),VicPark  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hollypolly thanks so much for that reply - I'm going to use it to help formulate my plan! I'm having a C-section electively as my first two births were difficult and so it's recommended to have a c-sect for this birth which I'm happy with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to help I hope it all goes well for you.

I was really unhappy/nervous when I found out I had to have a planned c-section. I wanted a vaginal delivery but had placenta previa so I had no choice. But actually, my planned c-section was a really positive experience! It was so calm for both me and my DH, and I had a really good recovery. In fact, it all went so well I am pretty sure I will have another planned c-section next time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing - great lists. I had a code blue CS under GA last time, and have to have another CS next time, so haven't had the benefit of experiencing the ins and outs of the op. But the biggest thing I want plastered all over my chart for next time is the choice of oral pain killer - tramadol made me horrendously sick but they kept offering it, oxycodon worked well so that'll be my go-to next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am ok with the planned C-section as I had two natural drug free births - first one went ok but ended with 3rd degree tearing and weeks of physio for downstairs! Second was DS2 9p 6 with shoulder dystocia which left me torn again with him with shoulder and neck problems (all ok now) but OB recommended C-Sect for any subsequent babies - he mentioned this all of 5 hours after DS2 was born as it was not a pleasant experience, I'll call it - involuntary yoga - plus you can lose your bub with shoulder dystocia too (learnt that reading the brochure he dropped off) Have you any tips for the recovery from a planned C-section? I recovered well from both natural births - despite the stitches from here to breakfast! I'm planning on planning for this birth as much as I did for the other two! Just differently. Apparently the recovery from c-sect can be difficult. I have a tummy shield I can use for driving - GREAT invention and I'm also wondering about recovery shorts? REALLY appreciate tips!!!!