+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Im still struggling with driving. I can drive around the block now alone & drive down to the shops but i still cant park. Still have no idea of the dimensions of my car or where it is on the road. I really need to get driving but i feel like giving up, i just cant seem to get it
    A tip about where your car is on the road - when I drive as the Middle white line comes towards me it seems to exit my windscreen in the bottom right corner of I am placed well on the road. Maybe get hubby to help you work out where your 'spot' is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could have written this post myself! At 28 I still don't have my drivers license (although I've had my learners permit multiple times). I'm so worried about driving it scares me. I even grew up on a farm driving the old bunkies around but I can't bring myself to drive. My DH & I had an accident and now I have so much anxiety. I panic even just thinking about being behind the steering wheel. Everyone makes me feel like I'm inferior because I can't drive. It's horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by caketin View Post
    I could have written this post myself! At 28 I still don't have my drivers license (although I've had my learners permit multiple times). I'm so worried about driving it scares me. I even grew up on a farm driving the old bunkies around but I can't bring myself to drive. My DH & I had an accident and now I have so much anxiety. I panic even just thinking about being behind the steering wheel. Everyone makes me feel like I'm inferior because I can't drive. It's horrible.
    That last bit is the worst. One of my best friends often says things like 'oh we can't go there you don't like driving' in a way that's more I just can't be bothered to try. This isn't like trying to play tennis or even facing other fears like public speaking (not that I would ridicule those) it's the fact that car accidents can kill so it's hard to build up the skills with a trial and error give it a go mentality! Although I do recognise in myself that if I can stay calm I'm a more skilled driver. I get so embarrassed around new people if they suggest going somewhere that I don't know or that is busy and I avoid due to parking issues. I've tried to find driving schools for nervous drivers but seems all be for learners. There's a defensive driving course I'd love to take but it's other side of sydney and you have to drive your car there I just couldn't! Maybe we can start a driving tips thread?
    Not that I have any tips myself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What if you duct taped some sticks to the corners of your car, make them long wnough that you can see them from the drivers seat and that way you can see where your car ends

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    That last bit is the worst. One of my best friends often says things like 'oh we can't go there you don't like driving' in a way that's more I just can't be bothered to try. This isn't like trying to play tennis or even facing other fears like public speaking (not that I would ridicule those) it's the fact that car accidents can kill so it's hard to build up the skills with a trial and error give it a go mentality! Although I do recognise in myself that if I can stay calm I'm a more skilled driver. I get so embarrassed around new people if they suggest going somewhere that I don't know or that is busy and I avoid due to parking issues. I've tried to find driving schools for nervous drivers but seems all be for learners. There's a defensive driving course I'd love to take but it's other side of sydney and you have to drive your car there I just couldn't! Maybe we can start a driving tips thread?
    Not that I have any tips myself!
    Oh yes! I get the guilt trips from my DH about having to go to shops etc. I'll go during the day on public transport if I really have to! I really need to do something about it now I'm considering baby # 2. We sometimes get the old buses here and I wouldn't be able to get on them with a double pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep i get that! I now try to avoid telling people i dont drive, i find some other excuse instead. Ive had people go 'you dont drive?!......what do you mean you dont drive?' (mouth hanging open in disbelief/shock) & then proceed to treat me like a 5 year old.

Freyasmum i cant find a suitable driving school either. None of the instructors get it & i always seem to cop attitude when they find out i already have my licence. Ive given up with driving schools.